Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how else is cya added to pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

how else is cya added to pool?

Hi apart from stabalizer or clorine tablets is there any other way that cya gets into owr pools?

Thanks
    42,000 liters inground pool
    swg aqua rite
    Hayward super filter sand
    Vinyl lining
    Haward 1.5 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how else is cya added to pool?

Powdered Dichlor is sold as shock.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Powdered Dichlor is sold as shock.
    Thanks but apart from any form of clorine is there any other way that cya makes it into a pool?

Thanks
    42,000 liters inground pool
    swg aqua rite
    Hayward super filter sand
    Vinyl lining
    Haward 1.5 hp pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I take it you mean as a part of your fill water, or some natural source like rain? I would say no.
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

5. Back To Top    #5

CYA will only get into pool water either via stabilized chlorine (Trichlor or Dichlor) or via pure CYA (either CYA powder or Instant Pool Water Conditioner). It does not come from any other source and is not in rain nor in fill/tap water.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

We have heard that when you are lowering CYA, it may be possible for CYA that has become stuck to the walls and equipment to go back into solution as you drain and fill. At least, this is the proposed explanation for the effect we see of an X% water drain and fill not resulting in X% drop in CYA.

However, I have noticed that the CYA measuring tube seems to be on a log scale, so that a 50% reduction, for example, will take you from CYA 60 to CYA 35. Since there are no markers for CYA 100+, it is hard to tell what a 50% reduction might be from say 200 CYA.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

7. Back To Top    #7

The tube is a log scale due to the physics of viewing the black dot through a cloudy solution. It has nothing to do with dilution rates. Diluting the water by 50% with fill water (that has no CYA in it) will cut the CYA level by 50%.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for clearing that up! So, eh, strike that comment I made about the scale..... doh.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.