Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Suggestions

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Suggestions

Hi all. I've been a long time forum lurker and I am finally making my first post.

I have an above ground 17x29 Splash Superpool that I inherited from my parents. It is about 15,000 gallons. However, the pump is shot and I need a new one. The old pump was a Sta-Rite 1.5 HP. Based on some research is seems like that may have been a little over-powered for my pool? Plus I'd like something that won't bump my electric bill up quite as high. I've been looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP1580...5192412&sr=8-5. It certainly fits my budget.

I must admit my understanding of pumps is pretty limited; I'm hoping some experts can weigh in with their opinions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Suggestions

Welcome to TFP!

That pump looks alright, it is certainly a good deal. The best way to save electricity is to sped a little more up front to get a two speed pump. A two speed pump needs to be run twice as long on low speed, but despite that still saves you about 1/3 off your electric bill compared to running on high speed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Can you tell us what size and type filter you have? Does it list a gpm flow rate?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah I have a Sta-Rite sand filter, T-210WF.

2.18 ft^2
    44 USGPM
    20 USGPM/ft^2
    50 PSIG
    200 lbs

Thanks!