SWG & pump with solar heater question?

May 29, 2010
Hi, I'll be converting from baquacil to a SWG soon and was thinking of going with the Aqua Trol which has a timer that the pump can be plugged into. As the solar heater requires the pump to be on to heat the pool, and, as I understand it from brief readings, the SWG creates chlorine while the pump is running. Does this mean anytime the pump is running the SWG is creating chlorine? Any idea if the Aqua Trol allows the pump to run without creating chlorine?

My pool is a 18' round with deep end at 5'10" and a dome covering it. The dome helps heat up the pool, keeps it cleaner, and I think the chemicals last longer in it. I'm guessing the pool has around 8000 to 9000 gallons in it. The Aqua Trol goes up to 15k gallons. It's about $500 or so but it does have a self-clean feature that the lower end ones do not so I thought that would be worth the extra costs. Anyone have other suggestions besides the Aqua Trol they'd recommend? I also looked at the Aqua Rite Pro with 15k gallon cell for about $700 but not sure if the extra $200 would be worth it.

Thanks,
Patrick

Welcome to TFP. Most SWCGs have adjustable chlorine production in percentages. You figure out how much pump time you need for your solar, and then adjust the SWCG percentage for appropriate chlorine production.

Ah, nice. I'll see if the Aqua Trol has that feature. From the picture of the Aqua Trol, it looks like to clean the plate you'd have to disassemble it; what keeps the water from coming out, are these to be mounted about the water line?

Positronic said:
Ah, nice. I'll see if the Aqua Trol has that feature. From the picture of the Aqua Trol, it looks like to clean the plate you'd have to disassemble it; what keeps the water from coming out, are these to be mounted about the water line?

They are typically above the water line on an in ground pool. For an AG pool, you should have valves to shut off the water from the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.