Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG & pump with solar heater question?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG & pump with solar heater question?

Hi, I'll be converting from baquacil to a SWG soon and was thinking of going with the Aqua Trol which has a timer that the pump can be plugged into. As the solar heater requires the pump to be on to heat the pool, and, as I understand it from brief readings, the SWG creates chlorine while the pump is running. Does this mean anytime the pump is running the SWG is creating chlorine? Any idea if the Aqua Trol allows the pump to run without creating chlorine?

My pool is a 18' round with deep end at 5'10" and a dome covering it. The dome helps heat up the pool, keeps it cleaner, and I think the chemicals last longer in it. I'm guessing the pool has around 8000 to 9000 gallons in it. The Aqua Trol goes up to 15k gallons. It's about $500 or so but it does have a self-clean feature that the lower end ones do not so I thought that would be worth the extra costs. Anyone have other suggestions besides the Aqua Trol they'd recommend? I also looked at the Aqua Rite Pro with 15k gallon cell for about $700 but not sure if the extra $200 would be worth it.

Thanks,
    Patrick
    POOL SPECS - 18' round AG pool Doughboy pool with 5'8" deep-end, Aqua Trol Salt Water Generator, 1HP Doughboy pump, Doughboy sand filter, Solar Dome cover and a 40'x4' solar heater. Located in Oregon with swimming season from end of May through September. I pull the pump & SWG during winter months. Solar Dome minimizes FC loss & keeps heat in & debris out. Btw - Solar Dome lasted about 6 years before plastic started shredding.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG & pump with solar heater question?

Welcome to TFP. Most SWCGs have adjustable chlorine production in percentages. You figure out how much pump time you need for your solar, and then adjust the SWCG percentage for appropriate chlorine production.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Ah, nice. I'll see if the Aqua Trol has that feature. From the picture of the Aqua Trol, it looks like to clean the plate you'd have to disassemble it; what keeps the water from coming out, are these to be mounted about the water line?
    POOL SPECS - 18' round AG pool Doughboy pool with 5'8" deep-end, Aqua Trol Salt Water Generator, 1HP Doughboy pump, Doughboy sand filter, Solar Dome cover and a 40'x4' solar heater. Located in Oregon with swimming season from end of May through September. I pull the pump & SWG during winter months. Solar Dome minimizes FC loss & keeps heat in & debris out. Btw - Solar Dome lasted about 6 years before plastic started shredding.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Positronic
    Ah, nice. I'll see if the Aqua Trol has that feature. From the picture of the Aqua Trol, it looks like to clean the plate you'd have to disassemble it; what keeps the water from coming out, are these to be mounted about the water line?
    They are typically above the water line on an in ground pool. For an AG pool, you should have valves to shut off the water from the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

just make sure you install the salt cell AFTER the solar take off and return. You don't want nicely made chlorine going up onto a hot roof and being destroyed but the heat generated in the solar system.
    16,000lts Fibreglass, Magna Mineral Pool Water
    Jandy CV340 Cartridge filter, Zodiac TRi SWC, Z4 iAqualink, Jandy Laminar Jets, Solar Heating, Spa Jets with Jandy 1.5hp Epump operating everything.