Best way to run a pool system?

May 29, 2010
Hi all great site you have here.
Just a few questions to start
I have a intex 15 x 48" AG pool. It is a bit cold. so i tied a few things but not sure if im doing them right or they just dont work. I have a solar blanket. Should it be left on when the sun is on the pool? Should i take it off during sunny days and put it back on during the evening. How do you tell when a solar blanket is no longer good.

I also tried a DIY solar panel. I used 1/2 " black flex tubing and coiled it up on a piece of 4x4 plywood and put it up on the roof. Theres about 200' of line coiled up. How huch flow should be running through it. It seems if i trickle it in it doesnt really do much. The water feels alot warmer but i think it is to little to make a difference.

The pool is shaded alot of the time. Sees sun from about 9 am till 2pm roughly. The solar pannel i made is in the sun from 7am till 5 pm.

ANy tips trick advice would be great
thanks

Welcome to TFP.

The best call on the solar blanket is tough. My best guess is if it is windy or cloudy, leave it on. Not sure it makes much difference even if it's sunny, so leaving it on all the time is probably best for maximizing heating.

For solar heating, you want to maximize flow. Heating 1000 gallons by one degree does the same thing to the pool temp as heating 100 gallons by 10 degrees, but the efficiency is much better with the lower temperature rise.

Do you have a bypass for the solar? If no, then don't run the pump at night cause it will cool it off.
Also you should not run the pump while folks are swimming- its a safety/elec issue (not sure if you were aware of that or not...)

frustratedpoolmom said:
Do you have a bypass for the solar? If no, then don't run the pump at night cause it will cool it off.
Also you should not run the pump while folks are swimming- its a safety/elec issue (not sure if you were aware of that or not...)
The solar pannel runs on a different pump. The pool one wasnt strong enough to push it to the roof.
Just got out of the pool and didnt even think of turning it off put it makes alot of sense though
thanks
pool was about 70 and the daughter really wanted to go in. A bit cold for me but not bad once in the pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.