Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemical storage

1. Back To Top    #1

Chemical storage

Newb here. I'd like to store my pool chemicals outside in a covered pool toybox type container, just for convenience sake, but I now I read I'm supposed to store them a cool dry place.

In the past I've kept them in the garage, but is the outside toybox storage going to have a worse effect on the chemicals as opposed to storing in the garage?

Tx for any help!
    17,000 gal. IG pool with spillover spa, gunite/white plaster (approx15 y/o, replastered 10/2010), Filter Equipment installed 2007: Pentair CCP520 4-cartridge filter F/R 150, Pentair Mastertemp 250 Gas Heater, 3hp Pentair IntelliFlo Variable 8 Speed Inground Pump(installed 9/2011), and Proud lifetime TFP supporter!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chemical storage

I keep most of my dry chemicals in a plastic storage shed, the short 3' tall type. That is calcium increaser, Cal-Hypo and dichlor pucks. I keep the muriatic acid on the porch on a shelf, bleach on the opposite end of the same shelf. I keep extra bleach bottles in the garage. They don't hang around very long.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, that makes sense, thanks. That's the kind of storage shed I have also. Just trying to save myself a few steps.
    Thanks again!
    17,000 gal. IG pool with spillover spa, gunite/white plaster (approx15 y/o, replastered 10/2010), Filter Equipment installed 2007: Pentair CCP520 4-cartridge filter F/R 150, Pentair Mastertemp 250 Gas Heater, 3hp Pentair IntelliFlo Variable 8 Speed Inground Pump(installed 9/2011), and Proud lifetime TFP supporter!!

4. Back To Top    #4

Here's the trick: Imagine both a chlorine container and your acid jug spring a leak at the same moment. Could they mix? If so, you need to move one of them.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

5. Back To Top    #5

I learned the hard way with my first pool when I stored the trichlor pucks in the shed with the rest of my stuff. I had a lot of good stuff oxydize real fast! Pucks are now stored away from everything and well ventilated! Never trust the bucket they come in either!
    16K gallon, Pebble tec, beach entry. Two 1 hp Pentair Whisperflos. One for Paramount MDX2 main drain, Paramount debris canister, and Pentair CCP 520 filter. One for skimmer w/sock and Paramount PCC2000 in floor cleaner. 3/4 hp Pentair Pinnacle for waterfall. Fiberstars fiber optic pool lighting. Aqua-Logic AQL-P-4 control panel with wired remote in the house. SWCG system that is not used. Ultra-Pure Ozonator that is not used.

6. Back To Top    #6

Chlorine is the most effected by heat and sunlight so as long as you're only keeping a few weeks worth of it you'll be fine. As eluded to be sure to keep the containers closed tightly.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit