Where to find basin wrench?

beavis

Jun 17, 2009
I am putting water in my owner-built pool for the first time. However, the skimmers are still plugged with approx 1 9/32" square headed plugs and I can't get them out. I tried the basin wrench sold at ACE hardware, but it was too small and broke quickly. Home Depot did not have anything to help. Does anyone know a place to get a T-shaped basin wrench big enough to get these out? I've tried tracking down the plumber, but he's away for the Holiday weekend.

Get a piece of PVC pipe and heat it up and force it over the plug. It will conform to the shape of the plug when it cools. You can the drill a couple holes and insert a screwdriver in and use for leverage. Costs next to nothing and problem solved!

Sometimes a 12-point socket for a different sized six-point nut will fit on a square nut. I hope that makes sense. I don't know how else to explain it.

If you have any friends who have a lot of mechanic's tools, give 'em a call (If they aren't gone over the holiday weekend).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.