High pressure on startup

brettl

May 27, 2008
Northern Virginia
Just opened my my in-ground pool today. Probably the easiest opening in the four years we have been in this house.

The good news is that I'm getting the best pressure I have ever had on the returns. Everything seems to be working correctly, BUT the pressure is super high -- around 50 psi, and sometimes closer to 60 psi. Nothing has changed on the system since last year.

At first I thought it might just be a bad pressure gauge. But I'm discounting that because the pressure coming off the returns is much greater than in past years. I backwashed, but that didn't seem to make much difference.

Suggestions?

Thanks

You are confusing pressure and flow. Your gauge measures pressure, and it is most likely defective. Flow is what you feel from the returns. If your gauge reads high pressure, and your flow is low, you have a problem in the filter or lines, but high pressure and high flow usually indicates a gauge problem.

50+psi is beyond the capability of most pool pumps.

To say what JohnT said in a slightly different way: High flow from the returns means the pressure must actually be fairly low, so your gauge must be broken. Likewise pool pumps top out at about 45 psi max, so again your gauge must be broken.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.