Pressure in filter varies??

edweather

LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2010
Kingsland, GA
I have new sand in my sand filter this year and everything has been going well, with an average filter pressure of around 10-12 psi. A couple of days ago I noticed that the pressure had risen to around 16-17 psi in a couple of days time. I figured it was just getting to "backwash" time. Today I noticed that the pressure was back down to about 11 psi. Why the variation? Does warm weather have anything to do with it? frankly, I haven't a clue. Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.

Warm weather will only have a very small effect, nothing like that.

That is a little unusual. It could have been a partial blockage of one of the pipes, or maybe you changed a valve position, or maybe the gauge is going bad? It is difficult to say.

Thanks Jason. I'll have to keep an eye on it. When I went to bed last night the pressure was 11 psi. That was using 1/2 skimmers (there are 2 skimmers) and 1/2 main drain. In other words, ball valve on inlet side of pump set to 1/2, using both skimmers and main drain to draw water. I noticed a couple days ago when I used just the main drain to draw water the pressure remained at 10 psi. The gauge is new. Maybe the laterals are clogged a little. A backwash probably couldn't hurt.

Your fillter pressure will change as a function of what valves you may have open or closed. Closing suction valves will decrease filter pressure and opening will increase filter pressure. Visa versa for return valves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.