Ready To Build - Pool Bottom Question

Hello everyone,

We are finally ready for our build. We purchased a 24' AGP a month ago and rain has held me up on the build. I have tried to use some of the delay time wisely by reading Pool School and 100's of posts! I also have a brand new TF-100 kit ready to go to work.

Here's my problem. I was wanting to use foam board for our pool's bottom Vs. sand. I have read 1.5" or 2" is what most have used. However, our local stores only carry up to 1" thick sheets. I have read posts where some folks have used just a Happy Bottom or Gorilla Pad with no sand. I was wondering if I could just use one layer of the 1" foam sheets directly on the ground and be ok? My biggest concern is liner stretch. It is a "J" hook liner.

Thanks for the GREAT site!

I do not think the 1" board will hold up, too thin and brittle. Most stores can/should be able to order 1 1/2 or 2" styrofoam for you. Or can you make a trip to a Home Depot or Lowes or some other larger home supply store in your area?

Following this myself as I wanted to use Happy Bottom myself but I cannot get it in time.

Isn't Happy Bottom only a 1/2" thick as well? If so why wouldn't the 1" stuff work?

Greg

Because foam board is brittle and rigid vs Happy Bottom or Gorilla Pad, which are manufactured to be like fabric consistency so it will conform with the substrate it is laying on. The 1.5-2" sand is recommended because it compacts with the weight of the water so the final result is 1-1.5". If you use 1" or less foam board you may have it shatter and leave lumps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.