Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ready To Build - Pool Bottom Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Ready To Build - Pool Bottom Question

Hello everyone,

We are finally ready for our build. We purchased a 24' AGP a month ago and rain has held me up on the build. I have tried to use some of the delay time wisely by reading Pool School and 100's of posts! I also have a brand new TF-100 kit ready to go to work.

Here's my problem. I was wanting to use foam board for our pool's bottom Vs. sand. I have read 1.5" or 2" is what most have used. However, our local stores only carry up to 1" thick sheets. I have read posts where some folks have used just a Happy Bottom or Gorilla Pad with no sand. I was wondering if I could just use one layer of the 1" foam sheets directly on the ground and be ok? My biggest concern is liner stretch. It is a "J" hook liner.

Thanks for the GREAT site!
    24' X 52" AGP - On a concrete slab with 1" Dow blue foam board bottom.
    2Hp 2 speed Waterways pump/Cart. Filter.
    Hard Plumbed 20' away
    Deck 1/3 around pool
    Pool Rover Jr.
    DIY project
    Best Pool Store Quote, "THAT BLEACH WILL DESTROY YOUR LINER."

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ready To Build - Pool Bottom Question

I do not think the 1" board will hold up, too thin and brittle. Most stores can/should be able to order 1 1/2 or 2" styrofoam for you. Or can you make a trip to a Home Depot or Lowes or some other larger home supply store in your area?
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

3. Back To Top    #3

Following this myself as I wanted to use Happy Bottom myself but I cannot get it in time.

Isn't Happy Bottom only a 1/2" thick as well? If so why wouldn't the 1" stuff work?

Greg
    27' x 52" Round Lomart Sandstone AGP
    ~ 18,000 Gallons
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter 300lb
    Hayward 1HP Matrix 2 Speed pump
    2" Plumbing - 50 Foot run buried 18" Deep - Widemouth skimmer and 1 return with eyeball
    Compupool CPSC24

4. Back To Top    #4

Because foam board is brittle and rigid vs Happy Bottom or Gorilla Pad, which are manufactured to be like fabric consistency so it will conform with the substrate it is laying on. The 1.5-2" sand is recommended because it compacts with the weight of the water so the final result is 1-1.5". If you use 1" or less foam board you may have it shatter and leave lumps.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!