Gunite Builders Austin TX & Is SWG Pools on their way out???

Sabot

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
Good day,

Anyone have any comments on the following builders: Cody Pools, Crites, Millennium Pools and Anthony & Sylvan Pools. Is there a stellar builder out there that I need to check out?

Also, none of the installers whom I have talked with will warranty a SWG pool. I will have to sign a waiver releasing them from any damaged caused by the SWG system. I have been told that the SWG pools are costing the installers big $$ to repair decking and other masonry products. It sounds like most of the damage occurs with splash out. Many local installers have said SWG pools are on the way out. I spoke to a number of manufactures of SWG and of course they where either clueless or just preached their own propaganda.

What is the real deal with SWG pools? I really would like the concept of a SWG pool but we don’t want to spend a lot of money on building our first pool to only have the salt water destroy it in 15 plus years.

Thanks!
Mike

Mike - this has become what I think is an unfortunate trend with pool builders here in the Dallas-area as well. I talked to my PB (Platinum Pools) and they will no longer put in SWG when certain types of flagstone are being used. There seem to be indications that any types of corrosion being blamed on salt could actually be blamed on unbalanced water (no stabilizer, too high Chlorine levels, etc.) I think PBs have started doing this just to avoid the potential liability.

I have a salt pool and love it - we've only had it since August 2006 and have Oklahoma flagstone coping, but so far have not seen any signs of corrosion.

My suggestion is - pick a builder based on their design, support, and reputation, etc. Then, of those in your short-list pick the one that will install and warranty an SWG system. If none of them do, then you really don't have a choice but to go with a straight chlorine pool. I don't think an SWG is worth going without a full warranty.

Edit: We've had our pool since August 2006 and not August 2007 as I originally stated. I edited the text to reflect this.

Sabot said:
Good day,

Anyone have any comments on the following builders: Cody Pools, Crites, Millennium Pools and Anthony & Sylvan Pools. Is there a stellar builder out there that I need to check out?

Also, none of the installers whom I have talked with will warranty a SWG pool. I will have to sign a waiver releasing them from any damaged caused by the SWG system. I have been told that the SWG pools are costing the installers big $$ to repair decking and other masonry products. It sounds like most of the damage occurs with splash out. Many local installers have said SWG pools are on the way out. I spoke to a number of manufactures of SWG and of course they where either clueless or just preached their own propaganda.

What is the real deal with SWG pools? I really would like the concept of a SWG pool but we don’t want to spend a lot of money on building our first pool to only have the salt water destroy it in 15 plus years.

Thanks!
Mike

I got a A&S pool last year and was very pleased with the quality of the various equipment they provided in my package, and I also was pleased with the quality of workmanship. I have only had one warranty call (pool light Dead of of the box), and they were quick to replace without hassle. I highly recommend them. I went to them since they are nationwide and you eliminate the "fly by night" contractor. I live in PA and my A&S dealer will happily install a SWG (Aquapure)

joelq said:
Mike - this has become what I think is an unfortunate trend with pool builders here in the Dallas-area as well. I talked to my PB (Platinum Pools) and they will no longer put in SWG when certain types of flagstone are being used. There seem to be indications that any types of corrosion being blamed on salt could actually be blamed on unbalanced water (no stabilizer, too high Chlorine levels, etc.) I think PBs have started doing this just to avoid the potential liability.

I have a salt pool and love it - we've only had it since August 2007 and have Oklahoma flagstone coping, but so far have not seen any signs of corrosion.

My suggestion is - pick a builder based on their design, support, and reputation, etc. Then, of those in your short-list pick the one that will install and warranty an SWG system. If none of them do, then you really don't have a choice but to go with a straight chlorine pool. I don't think an SWG is worth going without a full warranty.

I completely agree. Well said.

Thanks for the input!

I just met with another designer and I drilled a bit more into what really is going on with the refusal to install a SWG system. He claimed that in the pool industry's main magazine and article was written confirming the ill effect which the SWG system had on their test pools. It all adds up to there is a significant enough of a chance that owners of SWG pools may not operate their pools with in the correct perimeters which would then cause the corrosion and decay with the equipment & masonry. It seems most of the installers in my area just don’t have a long term install base to judge for themselves. They are relying on what they are hearing from their peers at the trade shows and the industry reviews done by their peers.

While I was researching, I came across Pool ionization systems. I came across a number of manufactures all but Ecosmarte need regular shock, but no other chemicals. Is there anyone on the forum that owns one of these ionization systems? I would like to hear from actual users of this system to see if your water is sanitized and your other levels are maintained correctly.

Hi Sabot,

I think the key to a healthy pool is good water chemistry and a proactive pool owner. My findings is that a properly maintained pool doesn't take a lot of time. (this next statement may sound a bit goofy...but) The more often I spend checking or cleaning my pool water, the less time I spend trying to keep it in balance.

It looks as though your going with the right route by asking questions (here, with pool builders, etc) and by educating yourself, great job! You also seem a little skeptickle...but there is nothing wrong with that). But understand that no matter what sanitizing system you choose understand that you will get back the time and effort that you put into it. By doing a little work (testing and cleaning) on a regular basis will reward you with a cleaner/healthier pool that you have more time to enjoy. If you get relaxed (with any system) you will spend less time in your pool...and more time and effort to get it back on track. Also be assured that if you become relaxed in your ways again...you will spend even less time in your pool. Caring for a pool isn't really bad at all..but you do get back what you put into it.

It all adds up to there is a significant enough of a chance that owners of SWG pools may not operate their pools with in the correct perimeters which would then cause the corrosion and decay with the equipment & masonry

There is nothing wrong with not choosing to go with a salt water pool. Salt water pools certainly have several advantages. But only you can decide if your going to maintain a salt water pool with improper settings (just guessing from reading your post...I don't think you would :)) Maintaining a salt water pool could receive some advantages by having "ideal" ranges that differ slightly from a non-salt water pool. Waterbear and some others have alot of experience with a variety of salt water systems and how to use a salt water system for the type of pool that you have.

But again...the advice that they give to avoid corrosion is not exclusive to salt water pools...not at all. Corrosion is a concern in ANY improperly balanced pool no matter the sanitizer used. Many pool owners that live near me complain of burning eyes, dry skin, dry hair, excessive corrosion. When I ask them what their Ph is they usually reply that "oh, they don't check for Ph that often. Again...you'll get back what you put into it.

When a few have swam in my pool they usually note how gentle the water is on their eyes, hair and skin...they also note the nice "feel" that the water has. When they ask what I use in my water most STILL wrinkle their noses when I reply that it feels so good, looks so good and is so gently on the eyes, skin, and hair because I use bleach and have added salt to my non-salt water pool.

congrats on your future pool purchase!

dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.