Don't want a repeat of last year!!! HELP PLEASE

May 29, 2010
Bought an Intex 15x42 pool last year and battled many problems. ie. Algea, debris, etc. Drained and refilled 5 times in 4 months. Our pool location is surrounded by oaks which creates some debris issues, yet still gets plenty of good old FL sun. A combination which I'm sure helped the Algea to thrive. Test levels always seemed to be in range despite obvious visable problems. Before I unpack, set up, fill then disappoint my girls, please advise on the following:
1. Do I need to replace my included pump/filter to something stronger/larger? if so, please offer suggestions on what I should get. (ie. Sand vs cartridge, saltwater vs. chlorine) Have read many posts on here but am afraid i just get more confused each time trying to combine topics for my purposes. I have also consulted a friend in the retail pool biz (installed, in-ground) and found suggestions to be cost-prohibitive so I'm hoping there is an easier way or I may be posting this puppy for sale next week.

2. Any NW Florida owners on here that may have dealt with similar issues and can offer experience-based guidance?

Please understand, any help is appreciated. I am not convinced that pool owner skills are up to par :oops: I am sure I will have add'l ?'s so please be patient with me...

Many thanks to all.

This Article will tell you everything you need to do to get started. The other articles in Pool School, give you the basics as far as how to chlorinate and test on a daily basis. You need a good kit, if you don't already have one.

The intex filters are a problem, when problems occur. They work ok when the water is clear and stays clear. They are not good for clearing up a green pool... so if you can prevent the green from occurring at all, you may be able to manage with what you have.

We can help you figure this out...if you are uncertain how to proceed we can walk you thru it.

Start with filling the pool and giving us a full set of results, and then we'll tell you what to add first. Do you know the exact gallons size?

Several intex owners have had good luck finding used pumps and filters via craigslist and ebay. If you decide to go that route, look for a 1/2 to 3/4 hp above ground pump and a sand filter would likely be your best bet, but a DE or cartridge would work as well. Just about any pool filter other than intex will be large enough for your pool. There is no too large when it comes to filters.
The best investment you can make to keep your pool clear is a high quality test kit. Either the TF 100 or Taylor K2006 will serve you well. If this is the intex with the inflatable ring then covering the pool when it is not in use will help keep the debris out. Also if you decide to upgrade the pump and filter get a manual vacuum for vinyl pools. They are inexpensive and will work much better than the "vacuum" that comes with intex pools.

smcnamee1212 said:
Thanks zea3. Question...when looking at pumps, I'm finding pumps categorized by gph instead of motor size. I'm thinking that a 1/2-3/4 Hp pump will be a 4000 gph. Sound about right?

Don't know where you are looking, but pool pumps are listed by HP almost exclusively, with gallons per minute as a secondary characteristic. Hayward and Pentair and two popular brands.

A 0.5 to 0.75 hp pump is more than enough for that pool. A 18" sand filter would do just fine as well, although you could go larger on the filter if you plan to upgrade in the future. :goodjob:

Best thing I ever did was get a better filter for 18' round Intex. Got a used Hayward 180T and 1HP pump off craigslist for under $100. Bought new sand for about $40 and hard plumbed it and 99% of my headaches went away. The intex filters are ok but just aren't strong enough.

You could get a larger intex filter and that would most likely be better than the one you got with your pool but still not as good as a sand filter IMHO.

Greg

Please don't give up! It's too miserably hot to not have a pool. We'd never go outside during the summer if I didn't know we could get in the pool and cool off. Also, we've been able to keep our air conditioner set at a higher temperature because we come in wet and then cold from swimming!

I live near Tally, and pollen is a constant problem with our pool. If you check the pollen counts, they are high every day even though nothing is covered in yellow. I think it gets into the pool and then sucked under. I was backwashing the filter last year every time a storm came through and I would have to let some water out of the pool. Then I realized that my filter was too clean from all the backwashing and I started lowering the water by dumping it on the waste setting. That really helped my filter pick up the pollen and solved a lot of my problems.

I'm no expert, but I'd vacuum and keep the chlorine level up. Add liquid chlorine every day. You can get jugs refilled at Ace hardware or Pinch a penny. Also, I've read that many people have trouble with the pump/filter on that pool set up being too small. You might want to bite the bullet and upgrade if you can. You would make your money back if you don't have to dump and refill the water all the time!

The people on this forum are great! They are also really nice adn patient. Keep reading and take their advice. Good luck!

Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement! I have begun my search for upgraded equipt. and will continue to do so in an attempt to find the right components. If I am understanding correctly, the device that came with the pool was a 2-in-1 pump and filter and what i am seeking are two separate items? The Hayward 180T mentioned above is the filter and the pump is something separate. I'll keep looking and when I find what I need I may consult you all before purchasing and most definitely for installation advice. Thanks again, A Pensacola summer would be quite miserable without the comfort of a pool. Sure we have the beach, but it isn't in the backyard.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My understanding is any Intex under 16 feet in diameter has 1.25" hoses and at 16' (I've also read 18') they go up to 1.5" -- that means upgrading the pump is not as easy as buying a bigger pump. There are, however, converter/adapter kits but you need to be sure to read it thoroughly to get the right ones. Here is one I've seen on Amazon that I THINK would get you the right fittings to make a 2500 Intex pump work on your smaller pool.

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Conversion- ... B00162SP2G

It is my understanding the 4000 gph is intended for use on pools with 52" walls, not 42 or 48.

I would guess if your water is kept well balanced, you clean the filter often, keep it clear of debris with netting as much as possible, and run the pump most of the day you'll be okay with what came with it (or get the largest pump Intex makes with the 1.25 hoses off craigslist). What gph came with that model? I have a 1000 gph that worked well on a friend's 15 x 48.

Of course, it you keep it up year round since you are in Florida, maybe investing in the bigger pump is something you'll choose to do - but do keep in mind the hose fitting might need to be converted.

I live in Pensacola and this is the first year that we have had so many issues with our 18 x 48 intex! We have also drained the pool and refilled many times. Finally we got so fed up that last weekend we installed a non intex pump and filter and cut in a skimmer into the pool. Within one hour our pool was crystal clear and all the pollen an debris has yet to return!

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 212
j'momma, not sure if I posted, but we also live here in P'cola. Did you buy your equip. new or used? Any purchase info is appreciated as we are having a huge issue finding what we need. Also, from the pic it appears that you still have the original pump/filter in the mix. Please explain this configuration and reason as I thought I wouldn't the old stuff.

ANYONE, I have found an Intex 2100-Gallon Pump and Sand filter on Amazon that matches the prices I am finding elsewhere. A little more than I thought it would cost for the used, but does anyone know if this will work, or is this simply the Mfr. attempt to capture the money people are spending to replace the garbage that comes with the pool?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

BTW, this place and the people are awesome! Thanks so much for all of your help and encouragement.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

smcnamee1212 , the equiptment we got used from a friend as he is in the pool business. The only intex equiptment that i left was the saltwater generator. That is probably what you see there. The intex equiptment is cheap however is only made to last a short time. If you go with real equiptment and have someone who is handy, it is worth the extra money to fit the pool for non intex equiptment. I love it the pool has been sparkling clear with no problems since then. Basically we bought a skimmer kit and put that in which goes to a 3/4 horse pump then to the tall silver thing which is a Sta Rite filter, then it goes to the saltwater generator that we bought through walmart. I can get you a close up of the equiptment if you need to see how it is all connected. Just let me know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.