water level

Jeff74

Mar 10, 2010
Huntington, WV
We have not had any rain in about 5 days and we have had bathers about every day that is possible. Would it be normal to add more water to the pool? It seems that it is lower than normal. The pool was just installed in April. My wife is worried we are losing water because of a hole. What signs should I see (other than the obvious) if there was a hole in the liner? Do most people throw the water hose in the pool every now and then in the summer? Thanks.

If you have active swimmers or kids that splash a lot you will lose water that way. Add evaporation to that and no rain and yes you will need to top off the water every week or so. If you have a hole you may notice an area that is wetter or softer that doesn't go away on the ground near the suspected leak. One way you can check for a leak is to get a bucket and set it on a step inside the pool. Fill it to the pool's waterline with pool water and mark the level inside the bucket with a sharpie. Then mark the level outside the bucket with a sharpie. Let it sit undisturbed (no swimmers!) for 24 hours and compare the level inside and outside the bucket. If there is a leak the level outside the bucket will be measurably lower than the inside of the bucket.

Now if your pool has been filled since April and the level is just now getting noticeably lower my money would be on evaporation and splashout as the cause.

That is what I was hoping (of course). My wife insists that there is a spot on one side of the pool that is constantly wet (but not directly next to the pool structure), but I tell her it is more than likely splashing causing it. Thanks for the info, I will pass it along to LOML.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.