How often should you change sand?

May 29, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Hi, newbie here.

Did a look thru and couldn't anything on this topic, but then again I could just be blind.

I'm curious as to what everyone suggest/thinks about how often you should change your sand in filter?

We have a hayward s2oo high rate sand filter. Last time hubby changed it, he said was roughly 5 years ago. The people at Leslie's are always trying to get me to buy new sand. No they have never done a water test for us, they just always look at his account and say we should change it.

I don't want to buy new sand if we dont need it. So I'm just looking for thoughts on this matter.
Thanks!

It's a good idea to open up the filter and inspect the sand every couple of years. You will likely find some clumps and/or junk on top of the bed and you can do a good job of cleaning and repositioning the top layers.

My sand has been in my filter for 6 years now and I have inspected and cleaned it twice....probably should've done it maybe three times. I never intend to change it but I do intend to keep inspecting and cleaning it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.