Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often should you change sand?

1. Back To Top    #1

How often should you change sand?

Hi, newbie here.

Did a look thru and couldn't anything on this topic, but then again I could just be blind.

I'm curious as to what everyone suggest/thinks about how often you should change your sand in filter?

We have a hayward s2oo high rate sand filter. Last time hubby changed it, he said was roughly 5 years ago. The people at Leslie's are always trying to get me to buy new sand. No they have never done a water test for us, they just always look at his account and say we should change it.

I don't want to buy new sand if we dont need it. So I'm just looking for thoughts on this matter.
    Thanks!
    18X36, 30,000 gal, hayward high rate sand filter, IG, vinyl, hydrotools inline chlorine feeder (using the remaining of my 3" tabs)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How often should you change sand?

Some say change it every five years, others never change it. If it's filtering adequately, why bother? If it ain't broke . . .
    45,180 gallon 26' x 53' IG Vinyl, irregular shape. Hayward sand filter / pump. Polaris AutoClear SWG, supplemented with a Hayward Automatic Chlorinator (In-Line). Hayward 400K BTU heater. Paramount "turnover" system. Polaris 480 PRO cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

It's a good idea to open up the filter and inspect the sand every couple of years. You will likely find some clumps and/or junk on top of the bed and you can do a good job of cleaning and repositioning the top layers.

My sand has been in my filter for 6 years now and I have inspected and cleaned it twice....probably should've done it maybe three times. I never intend to change it but I do intend to keep inspecting and cleaning it.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys! I made my husband take the filter apart so I could clean the sand. It was rather nasty on the top layer, green, slimy, and dog hair. We ended up taking all the sand out and cleaning the laterals in the bottom.
    18X36, 30,000 gal, hayward high rate sand filter, IG, vinyl, hydrotools inline chlorine feeder (using the remaining of my 3" tabs)