Zeobrite

vanmor

Jun 14, 2009
I don't think my filter is working anymore. It has Zeobrite in it. The pressure is around 15 to 17. I have backwashed and backwashed to no avail. I think this is really the reason my pool won't clear up.

When all else fails, read the instructions. My filter manual says that the pump should be running at 10 to 12 lbs. So I'm close at 14 lbs. It also says to backwash at 20 to 22 lbs. As stated earlier, we shall see in the morning how well things are going.

We are heading into our 4th year with a Hayward Sand Filter full of Zeobrite. When we got our pool in 2006 we were told Zeobrite was 3-year lifespan, so it's not outrageous that we need to replace.

However, the pool store claims that now Zeobrite says to replace annually instead of every 3 years? ANNUALLY? Can that be right?

I mean I thought the stuff was nice, worked well, but it's like 3x the cost and ANNUALLY?

We only have 3 years of pool experience under our belts so we don't know much. We are only THIS YEAR having trouble with cloudy issues so it's not far fetched to think we need new filter medium.

As we replace does anyone really think Zeobrite is THAT much better or would you recommend we give sand a whirl?

I think that's all just pool store sales talk.
Every fall when I winterize my pool, I take the valve off my filter drain the water down in it to the top of the Zeobrite and dump a couple of liters of bleach into the top, stir it around with a rod through the zeobrite and let is sit for a good hour, the stir some more, I then stick the hose into the filter and continue stirring while all the Crud starts to wash out over the top - make sure you wear old clothes and shoes because all that bleach will do wonders to your outfit!!!
The Zeobrite is once again white when I am done with it - at which point I pull the drain plug and cover it all with a garbage bag cynched around the bottom above the drain hole with a bungee so the drain can continue dripping without getting into the bag.
My pool is 7 years old and the filter still works like a charm on the original Zeobrite.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.