FC 10 ppm
CC 1.5
TC 11.5
pH 7.5-7.8 (not sure which)
TA 170
CH 350
CYA 80
Salt 5860

I know chlorine is high. I've already reduced my SWG to only 3 hours Wednesday night. I still run my pool pump for 6 hours. I know TA is way high. Please help me knowing my more accurate info. Thanks so much.

Your TA is rather high. I would expect that to push the PH up fairly rapidly. One way to take care of that is to lower the PH to 7.2 each time it gets above 7.6. That will work the TA down slowly over time. As long as your PH is rising too quickly, that is the simplest thing.

If your CC level is really 1.5 you probably need to shock the pool. Hopefully that is just testing error. The next time you measure FC/CC, make sure the sample goes completely clear at the end of the FC phase, before switching over to measuring CC. Sometimes, the sample becomes an almost clear light pink that can be deceptive and if you stop at that point, CC will read higher than actual. If CC really is 1.5 tomorrow, shock the pool till CC comes down to 0.5 or lower.

I read How to Shock in the Pool School, but how much of the liquid chlorine am I supposed to add to bring it to the shock level? I'm not clear on that. Also, that will obviously bring the chlorine level up even higher. Isn't it high already? I'm sorry, I'm still pretty confused about this whole thing. I'm understanding more, but...

imcj said:
I read How to Shock in the Pool School, but how much of the liquid chlorine am I supposed to add to bring it to the shock level? I'm not clear on that. Also, that will obviously bring the chlorine level up even higher. Isn't it high already? I'm sorry, I'm still pretty confused about this whole thing. I'm understanding more, but...
If your FC is still 10 ppm, CYA is 80 and your pool is 5835 gallons, you need 1 US gallon of 6.25% bleach to bring it to 21ppm, which is shock level for your CYA level.

Just plug the numbers into pool calculator. What you have and what you want. It will even hint what you want lower down, where it gives the various FC levels for your CYA. It will tell what to add, and you can select from bleach, pool store chlorine, dichlor, whatever. It will tell you what to add. During shocking, ignore pH and the rest. Just be sure you enter the right numbers for Pool Volume, CYA, and FC.

After it's circulated an hour or more, take another FC reading. Plug in the number again, and it will tell you how much more to add. Just keep doing that. Give it an hour to mix at least, but the more often you add to keep FC above 21 the faster the shock process works.

Thank you very much. I'll be doing to today. My niece and nephew wanted to come swim this afternoon. Is it okay if the water is at a shock level? How long should they wait? Truly, you ladies and gentlemen are wonderful.

I took today's test

I just finished the test and this is what I got:
FC 15ppm
CC .5
TC 15.5
TA 170

The only other thing I tested was TA because I think CC is what I'm concerned with right now from what I read. So this is okay, right? I want CC to be at this point, so don't add the liquid bleach.

1) Am I correct?
2) I know I want pH to be no higher than 7.2, right?
3) Do I have a goal number for FC?
4) This TA is too high from what the test kit says. It says I want it between 70 and 90 for a salt pool. What do I do?

It sure is nice to know the goal for which I'm headed. I don't feel as lost. Thank you.

You are good to swim!

2) When PH gets up to around 7.6 to 7.8, lower it back down to around 7.2 to 7.4.
3) For normal day to day use, FC should be between 6 and 11, and never lower than 6.
4) Follow the steps I mentioned in #2 above and TA will come down over time. You could be more aggressive about lowering the TA, but I thing this simple procedure will be much simpler.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.