How quickly does cya evaporate?

CYA, and salt, do both go down very slowly over the course of the season. There is always some splash out, if you backwash your filter that removes water, and any overflow will remove water. All of those things lower both CYA and salt over time. But the changes are usually quite slow.

Reactions: Ignoramus
Richard320 said:
As far as I know, CYA is there pretty much forever. Rumor has it there is some soil bacteria that can consume it, but if the pool never turns into a green swamp, it won't happen. You can get rid of it by draining or splashout or backwash, but that's about it.

Ok so if do a 1 minute backwash once a week and the kids use it a couple of time a week i should be able to test my cya every 5 or 6 weeks.I'll be starting with 70 cya so i shouln't run out of it in less than my estimated 5 or 6 weeks?

Thanks

bats said:
Ok so if do a 1 minute backwash once a week and the kids use it a couple of time a week i should be able to test my cya every 5 or 6 weeks.I'll be starting with 70 cya so i shouln't run out of it in less than my estimated 5 or 6 weeks?

Thanks
Are all cya stabalizers the same thing.
You really ought to get your own test kit. And then, you'll be having so much fun playing junior scientist, that you'll check it every week. Until you are convinced it isn't changing. Or you run out of reagent, whichever comes first.

I wouldn't trust the pool store numbers.

And no, not all stabilizers are the same. Some sneak in copper or inert ingredients. I have no shortage of CYA in my pool, so I've never had to buy any; I need to get rid of some, which isn't easy with water restrictions in place. But that's another story...

Give it a day or so and someone else will have an answer about which stabilizer to buy. In the mean time, brew up a pot of coffee and settle in for a night of fascinating reading in Pool School.

Richard320 said:
bats said:

Thanks
Are all cya stabalizers the same thing.
You really ought to get your own test kit. And then, you'll be having so much fun playing junior scientist, that you'll check it every week. Until you are convinced it isn't changing. Or you run out of reagent, whichever comes first.

I wouldn't trust the pool store numbers.

And no, not all stabilizers are the same. Some sneak in copper or inert ingredients. I have no shortage of CYA in my pool, so I've never had to buy any; I need to get rid of some, which isn't easy with water restrictions in place. But that's another story...

Give it a day or so and someone else will have an answer about which stabilizer to buy. In the mean time, brew up a pot of coffee and settle in for a night of fascinating reading in Pool School.

I would love to get my own test kit but thier charging 200.00 here in canada for a talor 2006.Plus the reagent are also very expensive.My local pool store witch is just up the road does the tests for free and thier very good.

Thanks

bats-You need to order a test kit from TFP! They are not $200.00 :shock:

Richard forgot one other way to rid a pool of CYA, but he's not telling you (shame on him!). I'll have a talk with him later :hammer: :lol:

simicrintz said:
TFP cannot ship to Canada. Taylor has an exclusive distributor in Canada and no one selling Taylor chemicals (including TFP) can bypass that distributor who obviously has a very large markup (or is getting hit by high duty or other fees).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
chem geek said:
simicrintz said:
TFP cannot ship to Canada. Taylor has an exclusive distributor in Canada and no one selling Taylor chemicals (including TFP) can bypass that distributor who obviously has a very large markup (or is getting hit by high duty or other fees).

I apologize; I was not aware of that :oops: I have so much to learn..........

For anyone looking for a place to order the Taylor kits in Canada, I can highly recommend Piscines Apollo. They have good prices, and have all the reagents as well. I have dealt with the owner, and as far as customer satisfaction, I've never had better.

The other option is to order from the states, and get them to send it to Packageexpress. There is no sign up fee, and when I ordered my test kit and had them forward it, it cost me $37 for their services. Overall I saved about $40 from buying from a Canadian source.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.