Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: How quickly does cya evaporate?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    How quickly does cya evaporate?

    Does cya evaporate at about the same rate as the salt from my swg.

    I get my tests done at my local pool store.How often should i be testing for cya?

    Thanks
    42,000 liters inground pool
    swg aqua rite
    Hayward super filter sand
    Vinyl lining
    Haward 1.5 hp pump

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    15,422

    Re: How quickly does cya evaporate?

    As far as I know, CYA is there pretty much forever. Rumor has it there is some soil bacteria that can consume it, but if the pool never turns into a green swamp, it won't happen. You can get rid of it by draining or splashout or backwash, but that's about it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  3. Back To Top    #3
    dorpo75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    256

    Re: How quickly does cya evaporate?

    kinda like liquid in-laws...eh?
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

  4. Back To Top    #4
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,887

    Re: How quickly does cya evaporate?

    CYA, and salt, do both go down very slowly over the course of the season. There is always some splash out, if you backwash your filter that removes water, and any overflow will remove water. All of those things lower both CYA and salt over time. But the changes are usually quite slow.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Re: How quickly does cya evaporate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    As far as I know, CYA is there pretty much forever. Rumor has it there is some soil bacteria that can consume it, but if the pool never turns into a green swamp, it won't happen. You can get rid of it by draining or splashout or backwash, but that's about it.
    Ok so if do a 1 minute backwash once a week and the kids use it a couple of time a week i should be able to test my cya every 5 or 6 weeks.I'll be starting with 70 cya so i shouln't run out of it in less than my estimated 5 or 6 weeks?

    Thanks
    42,000 liters inground pool
    swg aqua rite
    Hayward super filter sand
    Vinyl lining
    Haward 1.5 hp pump

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Re: How quickly does cya evaporate?

    Are all cya stabalizers the same thing.

    Thanks
    42,000 liters inground pool
    swg aqua rite
    Hayward super filter sand
    Vinyl lining
    Haward 1.5 hp pump

  7. Back To Top    #7
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    15,422

    Re: How quickly does cya evaporate?

    Quote Originally Posted by bats
    Ok so if do a 1 minute backwash once a week and the kids use it a couple of time a week i should be able to test my cya every 5 or 6 weeks.I'll be starting with 70 cya so i shouln't run out of it in less than my estimated 5 or 6 weeks?

    Thanks
    Are all cya stabalizers the same thing.
    You really ought to get your own test kit. And then, you'll be having so much fun playing junior scientist, that you'll check it every week. Until you are convinced it isn't changing. Or you run out of reagent, whichever comes first.

    I wouldn't trust the pool store numbers.

    And no, not all stabilizers are the same. Some sneak in copper or inert ingredients. I have no shortage of CYA in my pool, so I've never had to buy any; I need to get rid of some, which isn't easy with water restrictions in place. But that's another story...

    Give it a day or so and someone else will have an answer about which stabilizer to buy. In the mean time, brew up a pot of coffee and settle in for a night of fascinating reading in Pool School.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Re: How quickly does cya evaporate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by bats
    Ok so if do a 1 minute backwash once a week and the kids use it a couple of time a week i should be able to test my cya every 5 or 6 weeks.I'll be starting with 70 cya so i shouln't run out of it in less than my estimated 5 or 6 weeks?

    Thanks
    Are all cya stabalizers the same thing.
    You really ought to get your own test kit. And then, you'll be having so much fun playing junior scientist, that you'll check it every week. Until you are convinced it isn't changing. Or you run out of reagent, whichever comes first.

    I wouldn't trust the pool store numbers.

    And no, not all stabilizers are the same. Some sneak in copper or inert ingredients. I have no shortage of CYA in my pool, so I've never had to buy any; I need to get rid of some, which isn't easy with water restrictions in place. But that's another story...

    Give it a day or so and someone else will have an answer about which stabilizer to buy. In the mean time, brew up a pot of coffee and settle in for a night of fascinating reading in Pool School.
    I would love to get my own test kit but thier charging 200.00 here in canada for a talor 2006.Plus the reagent are also very expensive.My local pool store witch is just up the road does the tests for free and thier very good.

    Thanks
    42,000 liters inground pool
    swg aqua rite
    Hayward super filter sand
    Vinyl lining
    Haward 1.5 hp pump

  9. Back To Top    #9
    Guest

    Re: How quickly does cya evaporate?

    bats-You need to order a test kit from TFP! They are not $200.00

    Richard forgot one other way to rid a pool of CYA, but he's not telling you (shame on him!). I'll have a talk with him later

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Rafael, CA USA
    Posts
    12,085

    Re: How quickly does cya evaporate?

    Quote Originally Posted by simicrintz
    bats-You need to order a test kit from TFP! They are not $200.00 :shock:
    TFP cannot ship to Canada. Taylor has an exclusive distributor in Canada and no one selling Taylor chemicals (including TFP) can bypass that distributor who obviously has a very large markup (or is getting hit by high duty or other fees).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

  11. Back To Top    #11
    Brentr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    874

    Re: How quickly does cya evaporate?

    If you have a friend in the US they can order it for you and then ship it. Just a thought.......
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

  12. Back To Top    #12
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,887

    Re: How quickly does cya evaporate?

    bats, you need to answer my private message about having two accounts, or you account will be terminated. Having two accounts is against the rules.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  13. Back To Top    #13
    Guest

    Re: How quickly does cya evaporate?

    Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Quote Originally Posted by simicrintz
    bats-You need to order a test kit from TFP! They are not $200.00
    TFP cannot ship to Canada. Taylor has an exclusive distributor in Canada and no one selling Taylor chemicals (including TFP) can bypass that distributor who obviously has a very large markup (or is getting hit by high duty or other fees).
    I apologize; I was not aware of that I have so much to learn..........

  14. Back To Top    #14
    flyboy320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Burlington, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    213

    Re: How quickly does cya evaporate?

    For anyone looking for a place to order the Taylor kits in Canada, I can highly recommend Piscines Apollo. They have good prices, and have all the reagents as well. I have dealt with the owner, and as far as customer satisfaction, I've never had better.

    The other option is to order from the states, and get them to send it to Packageexpress. There is no sign up fee, and when I ordered my test kit and had them forward it, it cost me $37 for their services. Overall I saved about $40 from buying from a Canadian source.
    10K gal IG, vinyl, 1 HP Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy CS cartridge filter, Delta UV system, Hasa Liquidator

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •