How much does air temp affect heating a pool?

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
Im noticing its tough these late spring days to bring my pool to the temp my wife likes it. 90 degrees. LOL. :hammer:

Normally my heater gives me 2 degrees every 3 hours or so. But at night Im getting nowhere near that now. In fact it will be stuck at the same temp for hours it seems.

Our nights in NY are still in the low 60s, maybe even upper 50s. Am I basically fighting against the colder night time weather and losing?
Or is it possible that my heater isnt giving me the same output as it used to?

I dont remember having this difficulty heating it up in the past, but I think I waited until the weather was a bit warmer...

mitch08 said:
Im noticing its tough these late spring days to bring my pool to the temp my wife likes it. 90 degrees. LOL. :hammer:

Normally my heater gives me 2 degrees every 3 hours or so. But at night Im getting nowhere near that now. In fact it will be stuck at the same temp for hours it seems.

Our nights in NY are still in the low 60s, maybe even upper 50s. Am I basically fighting against the colder night time weather and losing?

I dont remember having this difficulty heating it up in the past, but I think I waited until the weather was a bit warmer...

Pools require LUDICROUS amount of heat and air temp has a HUGE effect on pool temp rise and sustain.

What kind of heater do you have & how much water do you have?

Uncle Dave

Davegvg said:
mitch08 said:

Pools require LUDICROUS amount of heat and air temp has a HUGE effect on pool temp rise and sustain.

What kind of heater do you have & how much water do you have?

Uncle Dave

I think my heater is 250k btus. My pools is 16x38 inground 8ft deep end.
I think the heater is a little underpowered but it normally seems to do the job as long as I give it enough time.

Thanks!

I think its underpowered and actually costing you money.

Im guessing your pool holds about 25K gallons.

25K gallons x 8.34 lb per gallon= 208,500lb water 1BTU heats one pound of water 1 degree.

a 250K btu hour heater at 80 % efficiency puts about 200K btu into the water in an hour. - at best more in direct sunlight.

IF the air temp is mild you are just under a degree an hour into the pool- or right on with your 2 every 3 hours.

Your heat cycle takes so long you are losing a good percentage of what you put in due to evap, and environmental cooling.

Dave Sampson

Are you using a solar cover? I have found that using one dramatically keeps the heat in and less evaporation which equates to less chemical loss :cheers: :cheers:
With the solar cover on I would normally loose 2-4 degrees :whoot:
Without the solar cover I would loose 5-10 degrees :eek:

Thanks everyone.

It was definitely due to the air temp getting so low overnights.

We had a decent day today (low 70s) far from hot and the pool heater worked great.
I guess weather in the 50s and 60s is just a bit too much.

I dont use a solar cover. After a few days of using it I would get too lazy and it would sit in the shed :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.