Jackson, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Reading all the conversion posts. Have used Baq knock-off for many years (6 or 8, I can't remember). Convenient because I travel a lot and it needs less attention than chlorine. Last couple of years I have battled algae continuously. Water is clear; growth is on walls and bottom. Getting pretty frustrated and nearly ready to convert. Obviously, I now know how.

Only one question.............Is there NO HOPE? Has anyone out there been successful long term with this stuff?

Stats: 20,000 gal. vinyl pool
DE (Perflex EC 65) filter
1.5 hp pump

From what I have hear, people can run successful Baqua pools for a few seasons, and then start having problems. Sounds like you fall into that category!

My honest opinion, if you still travel frequently, is convert and get an SWG, which will take care of sanitizing your pool when you are gone.

Good luck, keep us posted, feel free to ask any questions along the way, and welcome to TFP!

For me, the algae started in my 5th year of Baquacil--last summer. I got so fed up I closed the pool early last summer. This summer it has been a fight all season. Between May and June I used 6 gallons of peroxide shock and a couple different filter aids. I have been running my filter 24/7 all season. My water finally cleared after about 6 weeks but the algae always returns in less than a week and I spend the time I had planned to relax in the pool brushing and vacuuming instead. I even switched to the new Baquacil CDX which is supposed to maintain oxidizer levels through the month. It hasn't helped. Now I am dealing with pink slime on top of persistent algae.

My sister is also on Baquacil. She has not been on it as long as me, but she had problems last season that carried over into this season. She also switched to CDX and cleaned her DE filter with muriatic acid, and now she feels it is under control and she is staying with Baquacil. So that might be something to try if you really want to stick it out with Baq.

Edit: Oops, I thought my sister had DE filter, but it is cartridge. She says she used to have DE filter and has used acid to clean it in the past.

I am starting my conversion off Baquacil tomorrow using sodium percarbonate instead of going straight to bleach for the conversion.

I haqve been told that if you replace most of your water and your filter media that you can keep using Baquacil and be back at the point you were at a few years ago. It does seem like a lot to go through though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.