pool water test

May 23, 2010
union beach n.j.
i got my tf-100 today and have been testing all day. my pool is not yet open and tommorrow i will be taking the cover off and doing the opening

ph 7.2
cl 0 these two were the block test
ta 80 w/ my leslie dpd kit tested 5 times
ta 120 w/ my new tf-100 kit also tested 5 times, im confused!!! i beleive my leslie one to be right but dont know
ch 50
cya 0 also tested several times
fc 0
cc 0
tc 0

all these tests i performed several times, when i look under the cover it looks clear i can see the bottom perfect, and my samples were chrystal clear as well, taken from as far as i can reach my arm in the water. i am new to this, i bought this house w/ a pool at the end of last season, and do remember never being able to get a reading on chlorine, i didnt pay it to much attention cause the water was clrear and didnt have problem w/ it, one of the closing negotiations was for them to open the pool for us, and it was closed until aug 15 and then we moved in september so i dont know how long the water has been in there

Yeah, run your pump for a bit before your test.....nevertheless, I'll bet you're pretty close.

Try this next time you do the TA test. Fresh R-0009 Reagent seems to develop static electricity and "jump" off the dropper tip, not giving you a large enough drop. Wipe the dropper tip every 2-3 drops with a damp cloth or damp paper towel and that should almost eliminate the difference in the two tests.

You will want to get some chlorine and CYA in your pool as soon as it's opened. If someone else is opening and they put in chemistry (not a great idea) please ask them to leave the bottles so you can tell us the amount and the ingredients. Better if youcould get a credit and put in your own stuff but they are likely not to want to do that....that's okay.....just be able to say what and how much went into it.

so the leslie test was right, i thought the drops were to small, so i stuck a pen in there to open the hole up a little more. how new am i? i had no idea i had to circulate before i tested, i really dont even want to do all that testing again, but guess ill have to. i will be doing the opening myself no one will ever touch my pool but me, i closed it my self last season, cut all the pipes out and ran a bypass and all new valves and drain, so i just need to be pointed in the right direction and i will be fine.

Duraleigh will have to weigh in to let us know if altering the dropper tip will affect the test's accuracy...

i really dont even want to do all that testing again, but guess ill have to.

You'll need to test PH and FC daily, you'll need to test TA weekly at first then probably monthly. CYA probably monthly as well, once you get it in range. At first, you'll probably be testing this once a week as you try to bring into range.

The testing will get easier the more you do it (and you'll probably look forward to it after the learning curve has passed and you see how nice your water looks!). I test mine every day (sometimes a couple of times :roll: ). Once you realize that you can do a much better job of keeping your pool up than anyone else, you'll be hooked!

Altering the dropper tip will most certainly affect the test accuracy and is not something to be done. The dropper tips for titrating reagents are designed to deliver 24 drops per milliliter to within one drop (that is, they might be 23 or 25 drops). As was noted earlier, you should wipe the dropper tips to prevent static electricity, but if they are still not producing consistent large hanging drops, then you need to get a replacement dropper tip. For the TF-100, Dave will be happy to do that for you.

simicrintz said:
The testing will get easier the more you do it (and you'll probably look forward to it after the learning curve has passed and you see how nice your water looks!). I test mine every day (sometimes a couple of times :roll: ). Once you realize that you can do a much better job of keeping your pool up than anyone else, you'll be hooked!

yeah i know, i let my frustation get the best of me, i was so excited waiting for my tf-100 kit to come and then had to test each one several times each, and getting zero,s and then the t.a. test differed from my two test kits, which boggold me, and then posted the results, and found out it was all for nothing, cause i didnt circulate the water, who knew i sure didnt, i guess thats just the learning process, but i will continue to learn until i am capable, hopefully anyway LOL

"Altering the dropper tip will most certainly affect the test accuracy and is not something to be done. The dropper tips for titrating reagents are designed to deliver 24 drops per milliliter to within one drop (that is, they might be 23 or 25 drops). As was noted earlier, you should wipe the dropper tips to prevent static electricity, but if they are still not producing consistent large hanging drops, then you need to get a replacement dropper tip. For the TF-100, Dave will be happy to do that for you."

so the tips are universal? can i use any tip from any dropper? empties

erock14 said:
so the tips are universal? can i use any tip from any dropper? empties
Pretty much that is true, though be sure to thoroughly rinse the dropper tip since you don't want any cross-contamination from the older reagent. To be safe, use a dropper tip from the same older reagent bottle or at least one from a titrating reagent. The dropper tips for the indicator dyes and buffer solutions don't need to be as accurate -- they are likely the same but would not have to be.

I'd just PM Dave and get some new dropper tips if you have a bad one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.