What do you think?

May 12, 2009
Pennsylvania
I just installed my 4 gal. Liquidator this morning. Everything went ok with install. When I turned the pump on and the water level got to the point of opening the output valve, nothing happened. The tubing to the pump basket side had no water in it and the flowmeter was bone dry. I had to close my skimmer valve a little bit and I then got some flow. I haven't done the mod yet ........ I was too anxious to get it set up and I figured if it worked, then I wouldn't have to do it.
My question is, do you think it will be ok to run my setup with the valve partially closed? The pump doesn't seem to be starving and my pressure is about the same as it always is. I'm thinking I will do the 3/8 mod, do you think that will eliminate the need to partially close my valve? I am afraid that during the hot summer, I will have to close the valve more to get more flow just to keep up with chloring demand.
Here are some pictures of my setup/install. Is there anything wrong here?[attachment=2:2iaoudxu]4.jpg[/attachment:2iaoudxu][attachment=1:2iaoudxu]3.jpg[/attachment:2iaoudxu]

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 290
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 290
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 290
With the little bit of suction head that system has, closing the skimmer valve that little bit isn't going to hurt anything. I do think that upgrading to the 3/8" tubing and valves will help you a lot. It did mine.

Poolidiot said:
Barnyard,
I run mine all the time with the valve like you have at the skimmer partlyclosed and have had no issue, been doing it for about 2 years.
Thanks. I have ordered the stuff to do the 3/8" mod, we will see. I was just a little concerned, but it has been 3 going on 4 days like this and I can't tell it is making a difference. It looks like we have about the same size and capacity pool, so if you're running it that way, I think I should be able to to also.
And, Poolidiot, tell your Army Soldier Happy memorial day and thanks for serving ..... from a former and fellow soldier.

Just a thought, and maybe no value! I wonder if putting the fitting before the 90 on the pump is part of the problem? I always try and install the fitting after the 90 and the unit seems to work fine (mine is set up that way, and I haven't done the upgrade yet!). 90's create turbulence in pool plumbing, and I'm just wondering if maybe you are getting some sort of negative impact from being ahead of the 90?

Like I said, may be of no value (other than something else to think about!). It looks like you might have a "soft" fitting ahead of your pump, and couldn't tie in to it the way it is.

barnyard -- post a full set of numbers and how you got them. Your CYA might be low or some other numbers might be off causing you to use more chlorine than you think you should be. You may have to bump the flow up until you get to yoru target FC level then slowly back off on it.

I just ordered my test kit and will get back with the numbers. All I have right now is the little ph/chlorine test kit that I have used for years. I am keeping the chlorine kind of high until I know what it is for sure. I have had a pool of some sort for about 24 years and I am just this year going with BBB. Getting the liquidator was the selling point since I didn't want to manually add chlorine every day........ too lazy.
And yes I do have soft fittings because of molded hose barbs on my pump and filter so I had to tap off before the 90. I wish I had thought to go with the pump drain plug but the hole is already there now.
Thanks for the input. I really think I am going to like this setup.

I got the parts for the 3/8" upgrade and did that last night. BIG difference. I did re-locate the suction side to the drain plug on the pump. Now, I can get a little over 4 on the float valve without closing my skimmer valve at all. I am now officially a lot happier with the setup. The upgrade thread is awesome and the parts list was spot on accurate. That really made it easy. I think it only took me about 20-30 minutes from start to finish. I think I have some air getting into the liquidator line from somewhere, but I suspect that to be the suction side tubing that mates to the liquidator. It was hard to get it all the way on and not push too hard on the liquidator itsself. I really didn't need a cracked tank. I'll take another look at it and see how I can get the tube to set all the way on the fitting. That is the only place I can think of that air would be getting in to the tubing, it's not a lot, just some air bubbles running around.
Fedex also delivered my test kit later last night, so I will hopefully have numbers tonight. I am anxious to see how close (or far off) my numbers are since I had just been going off of what I had been doing for 20+ years. Never had any real problems in all those years, but it will be interesting to see exactly where my water is.

Thanks for all the help.

One place that's especially easy to get air into the tubing is the hose adaptor on the outlet float valve. You have to use lots of wraps of t-tape or lots of paste on the threads of the float valve to get the adaptor to seal correctly. I also use ty-raps on the hoses where they slip over the barbs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good Idea on the ty wraps over the hose barbs. I will do that.
I used both tape and pipe dope on the threaded connections. I am going to do the ty wrap thing and see if that clears it up. If not, I guess I am going to take it apart and redo. But, right now it isn't causing too much of an issue.

Just an update on the air in my tubing. I turned the valve full on and then closed the skimmer valve a little bit to get a really good hard flow and the air bubbles disappeared. I guess I should have known I needed to 'purge' the air out of the tubes. Thanks again.

Check back in the next couple of days. I think we have the simplest 3/8" mod nearing completion (it is already on mine and it works awesome!). Definitely worth looking into!

simicrintz said:
Check back in the next couple of days. I think we have the simplest 3/8" mod nearing completion (it is already on mine and it works awesome!). Definitely worth looking into!

Bruce,

I was emailing Sal about this, just wondering if you could elaborate on what parts you recommend swapping out on your mod, or how it differs from the 3/8" mod posted by Rabbit in this thread?

flyboy320 said:
simicrintz said:

Bruce,

I was emailing Sal about this, just wondering if you could elaborate on what parts you recommend swapping out on your mod, or how it differs from the 3/8" mod posted by Rabbit in this thread?

Sal is on the road traveling today, so he may be a bit delayed in responding! Looks like you are stuck with me :lol:

Our kit is much simpler, and requires no additional drilling from the original kit, or large volumes of Teflon tape! We have push fitting connectors (no barbed fittings) and better check valves that require less pressure to properly work. A good portion of what comes with the Liquidator will still work (the kit is only 5 pieces) and utilizes the existing tubing also. We should have the kits made up and posted on our website (in the Store) by the weekend, hopefully. IIRC, they should go for about $30.00, including shipping. We are also going to be offering the upgrade kit on the Liquidators at the time of order, for those that want them from the start. I'll post something up in the appropriate area detailing that later.

I'll try and get some pictures of mine up later today, if possible. I can peg my flow meter at 5 all day long, at 2,200 rpm on my pump, without the valve open all the way! Much improved over the "stock" configuration!

salp said:
Flyboy,

Did Brucie answer your questions??

Absolutely! As I mentioned in my emails I made the order with US Plastics for the upgrade when I ordered the LQ from you. If I had known your mod was going to be available I might have waited and ordered your mod instead. Just kind of curious as to how your mod may differ. I plan on changing out the check valves, flow control valve, and swap out the tubing for the larger 3/8" ID tubing.

The LQ I ordered from you arrived in record time and in great shape, thanks again for the great customer service!

I hate when he calls me Brucie :evil: I might just have to start calling him Sallie :hammer:

We really hadn't planned on providing an upgrade kit, but it just seemed like the unit needed it and the parts list we'd seen was expensive and a lot of work; we just knew there had to be a better way! Looks like we found it, and, like I said, it is working fantastic on my unit!

Here's a couple of pics from mine. My good camera is on the fritz, so I had to take these with my phone. We'll have better ones on the site later.

Attachments

• Liquidator Parts 001.JPG
    Liquidator Parts 001.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Liquidator Parts 002.JPG
    Liquidator Parts 002.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 100

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.