Baking Soda

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
I have never bought baking soda before. Where do you usually find this? I have seen it in the pool section at walmart, but from what I have read it is a little more expensive than where the baking soda is normally located. Also when you add it, is that done through the skimmer like you do stablizer, or shoudl I dissolve it in water and pour in the pool?

Thanks.

Hello mynew pool,

At walmart you can find baking soda in the pool section or the baking goods section. Its the same stuff. Just be careful if you see it in the laundry soap aisle because these baking soda products are made for laundry and are listed as having fragrances etc. The cheapest of the baking sodas are usually on the baking goods aisle. As far as adding it to the pool, I usually broad cast the recommended amount in increments and then agitate it with the pool brush as the pumps are running in order to make sure the product is dissolved adequately.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JasonLion said:
Adding baking soda through the skimmer is fine. Remove the skimmer sock, if you are using one, and add slowly enough that it doesn't pile up in the skimmer basket.

Yes, do add slowly. I got a good scare once, when I had the over-sized one speed pump, with main drain restricted down, and poured it in so fast it formed a temporary plug in the line. :hammer:

gg=alice

no-mas said:
Honestly, baking soda dissolves so readily, I'm not sure why one wouldn't simply broadcast over the pool.

:? The only reason I can think of it that a lot goes into the air. :?

I only added it through the skimmer once. I had a similar experience, with temporary pipe blockage, putting borax in the skimmer. :hammer:

gg=alice

Baking soda can be added almost any way you can imagine. However, I don't like to recommend distributing it across the surface of the water because then people start doing that with other chemicals where it isn't such a good idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.