Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid chlorine?

Okay local pool store has liquid chlorine for 19.99 for 5 gallons of 16.5%.
    walmart has 6% bleach 182 oz for 2.54
    Now what is the better deal pool store or walmart

Made a mistake its 12.5 % !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Called the pool stores back to double check!!!!!!!
    Vinyl pool 37,000 gallons 2hp hayward , sand filter, true L 18-41-16-28 - 9 foot deep end .. Solar panels with goldline automation ..3/4 hp polaris 380 ..BBB method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid chlorine?

The 6% bleach is $1.79 per gallon.
    The equivilent price of the 16.5% is $1.44 per gallon.
    So the 16.5% is a better price.

You're the first person on here that I've seen reporting being able to buy 16.5% hypo.
    They do make 16.5% but it's not normally sold retail at that strength.
    Just be aware that it needs to be very fresh to retain that strength.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes there is two pool stores around me that have 12.5% for 19.99 and they fly out of the stores.. from what I have been told and researched that is the highest % you can buy for residential use.. They do make stronger but thats for city water mua etc...
    Vinyl pool 37,000 gallons 2hp hayward , sand filter, true L 18-41-16-28 - 9 foot deep end .. Solar panels with goldline automation ..3/4 hp polaris 380 ..BBB method

4. Back To Top    #4

Forgot to ask who do you know how fresh it is can you test it?

Another local pool store said ther liquid chlorine is 87% for 25.00 I find that hard to beleive any one else ever heard of that if that is correct amount that would be great . I can post the name and # of the pool store if anybody wants it

5. Back To Top    #5

It is not possible for the chlorinating liquid to be 87% as this is extraordinarily unstable. They might mean 17%. You normally don't see chlorinating liquid much above 15% (never above 20% as far as I can tell) as it degrades much more rapidly at higher concentrations as shown in the table at the bottom of this link.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Perhaps it is 8.7%?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

The highest concentration of Sodium Hypo normally produced right now is 16.5%.
    There is a process for producing 26%+ stable enough to have a very good half life and it'll be available in the US next year. It wil also have very low salt content.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Keep us posted when that comes out