Wall Foam Spray Adhesive recomendation request

DP

May 26, 2010
I have an above ground 16’ x 30’ x 4’deep pool. I am looking for a spray adhesive to install the wall foam. It seems as though getting the blue color adhesive would be the best approach as the wall foam is white and so is the pool wall. Searching the internet, I see a lot of options, unfortunately they do not indicate how many cans to buy. Can someone recommend product or place to purchase that are not trying to gouge customers with inflated pricing and shipping, and also how many cans should I purchase? Thanks

Welcome to TFP!!

The stuff we use is made by 3M. I'm not saying it's the best, but it's what I'm familiar with.

One can should do the trick. What you want to do is put a double stripe the top and around the skimmer and return and just randomly hit the rest of the walls (when hitting the lower parts, the glue will apply 'stringy' - i.e. not an even layer) I know I'm not explaining this well :( but I've already worked ~ 60 hours this week (with 2 days in the 90s) and am a little 'wiped' - I'll be back tomorrow to clarify, if someone else hasn't first :)

Jason, as per usual, you are correct in what I was talking about - go figure :p

The '77' is usually found at a pool store (which does liner pools) - you have to ask them, it won't just be on the shelf.

I've seen a clear spray at Home Depot (the 77 is blue) which looks to be good for this purpose, but I can't recall the brand :oops:

We used the blue stuff Gladdon has with their wall foam. We needed more and got the 3M stuff for polystyrene foam at the local hardware store cheaper. Exact same ingredients only it is white. Works the same.

3Mâ„¢ Super 77â„¢ Multipurpose Adhesive,, got it,,, thanks,, I will try and find locally,,, I'll get 2 cans,,, just in case. Thanks everyone!
Also, as i mentioned , I am looking for Blue, and found these specs, which contradict the above statement that 77 is blue? Im confused

Specifications: 72 Pressure Sensitive adhesive is repositionable with aggressive tack for bonding polyethylene film and foam. Also bonds carpet. Blue in color.

Super 74 FoamFast adhesive is fast tack with foam-tearing strength and a soft, non-dimpling glue line. Designed for general upholstery foam bonding, knife edge bonding, boxing and edge turning.

75 Repositionable is a clear, tape-like adhesive that holds badges during stitching and patterns prior to cutting. No bleed, stain or wrinkle.

76 High Tack is a multi-purpose adhesive with high temperature resistance and strong one-surface bonds.

Super 77 Spray adhesive is a fast, aggressive tack for bonding many lightweight materials. It offers the choice of round or fan-pattern nozzle.

80 Neoprene contact adhesive has plasticizer resistance. Can bond supported vinyl, leather and most rubber. Adheres to most plastics, laminates and wood. Resists temperatures above 200°F (93°C). 90 Hi-Strength adhesive has high contact strength for bonding decorative laminates. Adheres polyethylene and polypropylene to wood, metal and more. One-minute drying time and bonds in 15 minutes.

I think we actually used the Foam Insulation Adhesive Spray by 3M when we ran to get more - it was exactly like the Gladdon stuff but white lacey spray instead of blue - the ingredients on the back were exactly the same as the Gladdon stuff, it performed exactly the same as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just picked up 4 cans of 3Mâ„¢ Super 77â„¢ Multipurpose Adhesive because I happened to be at a hardware store. There is no mention on the can that it is for "polystyrene", nor is it blue spray. Should I use this product if theres no mention of "polystyrene"? It says

"Bonds many foils,plastics,papers, metals and cardboard"

If it has any acetone type ingredients it eats up foam it may work ok. If it doesn't specifically say it works to bond foam it probably doesn't? I should see if we can find any of our cans

Ok, now it is clear as mud,,, as NWMNMom mentioned,, if it has acetone as an ingredient, it will eat up the foam.
as stated on the can it does have acetone as an ingredient. It seems as though I am confused as this thread continues,,, thats because I am. Please help LOL. I needed to do the pool this weekend because I was not sure if this product would eat up the wall foam, now that it seems there is a likely hood,, I hope to clear this up during the week and purchase the correct product once assured. Thanks in advance.

Ok, I'm no chemist but I only repeated what the hardware store owner advised when I had to buy another can of adhesive - acetone will eat foam. Maybe I'm wrong? Someone with chemistry knowledge please chime in - ChemGeek? Anyone? DP needs to get on the right path and I hate to think I may have added to delaying his project - getting that pool ready for swimming has to be No 1 on the list!!! : )

Hahaha,,, thanks for your concern, I appreciate your honesty. Not being certain, I am being cautious. Last thing I want to do out in the heat right now is watch my newly installed foam wall dissolve 20 minutes after I put it up LOL. Any help is appreciated.

I went to the 3M website,, browsed around and found this:
3Mâ„¢ Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive
Bonding polyethylene and polypropylene to wood, metal and other materials

I don’t know if this would be the correct application either? Is the wall foam polyethylene or polypropylene? I have no idea.

Im pretty sure this is the same product that was sitting next to the Super 77 when I was at Home Depot,, I read the can briefly and got confused,,, I seem to remember the tack time for this product being about 30 minutes or so,,, which seemed to be way to long.

I also found this, which looks VERY Appealing because its blue spray:

3Mâ„¢ Blue 72 Spray Adhesive

Very tacky, pressure-sensitive adhesive featuring a blue tint that helps you see where and how much adhesive is applied to a surface.

It is an aggressive, yet repositionable adhesive, ideal for bonding polyethylene sheeting, film, and foam substrates. It can handle irregular or nonlinear applications. Its variable valve provides a precise spray pattern width of 1" to 4".

Common Uses:

•Bonding polyethylene sheeting•Film to film bonding for vapor barrier protection over insulation, eliminating the use of staples
•Bonding vapor barrier plastic in construction applications
•Bonding carpet padding
•Temporary positioning to hold film, fabric, foam, or heavyweight paper

On a side note, once I resolve this product dilemma, I will be asking if it would be ok to glue the wall up one weekend, let it sit for a week before I put the Gorilla floor down then the coving,, because I don’t think I can do this all in a day.

Ha! I did all of the above all by myself basically in one day. The wall took the longest and I suggest you have a helper - ours took over an hour. Spay the adhesive on both the wall and a section of the foam then allow to get tacky, begin at the bottom near the rail and smooth the foam up the wall at an angle - using a wallpaper smoother works great. It gets crooked and creates bubbles if you get ahead of yourself. It goes nice and fast using this method with a helper to hold the pre-sprayed foam out from the roll about 3-5' at a time. The Gorilla floor pad took about 30 mins including smoothing out (with the backside of a shop broom - not bristle side - and precision trimming to exact shape to fit right up to the bottom rail. The cove did not take long either once I determined that the best fit would be achieved using a bit of adhesive spray on the back of each on on the ends so they all locked together - they went right in with a nice, tight and nearly perfect fit just like clockwork once I did that. Get the first one in place, push it in against the wall and down to fit on your rail, the next- one after the other till the last one which I trimmed to fit perfectly. I sprayed the adhesive on about 4 at a time so they had time to get tacky (as the product suggests) - it moved right along.

It is suggested that you don't leave the wall foam exposed to direct sunlight for too long (days at a time I guess) due to UV degradation. I did all the above stuff day one - dropped the liner in the next day (installed all by myself as well - Grrr, thanks to lazy teenagers)

Thanks for the pointers,,,, I wont be able to get it all done in one day for variouse reasons,,,, looks like I can get the foam up on day one, and finish the job on day 2, I dont want to put the floor in till the day I put the liner in,,, there will be to much condensation on top of the Gorilla pad in the morning to put the liner over top of it,,,, anyway,, as soon as I can get some feedback on this spray adhesive, I can get this going,, thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.