Cold Climate Early/Late Season Heating - Worth It?

Aug 28, 2009
I've read a bunch of the other threads on heaters. I have a specific question.

I'm in Montana, and am installing a 15x30 AGP in the ground (deck surround). I currently have 8 2x20 solar panels that I'll be using, roughly 90% of the surface area.

Our sun intensity when it's out is quite high because we're at 4500ft. But, overnight temps can dip below 50, even in the summer time. It's supposed to hit 37 on Sunday night.

I use a solar cover, and I'm wrapping the pool in bubble insulation for additional heat retention, so my heat retention is good.

I'm considering either a propane (our source) heater for supplemental heating, or a heat pump, and I need to decide soon so that I can wire/plumb appropriately.

I know that the gas-based heating systems can be very expensive to run (we pay about 2.50/gallon during the summer), and the heat pumps can take a long time to work, plus they are expensive.

We'll have a hot tub as well, so I'm wondering if we just decide that the pool heating is not worth it, swim in the pool when it's hot, stick to the hot tub when it's not as warm, and add a couple of solar panels for good measure.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? By the time I spend the money on the pool heater and paying to run it, I could buy a 2nd hot tub. ;->

beartoothweb said:
We'll have a hot tub as well, so I'm wondering if we just decide that the pool heating is not worth it, swim in the pool when it's hot, stick to the hot tub when it's not as warm, and add a couple of solar panels for good measure.

I expect this will be your decision. I expect you are probably used to colder weather than people further south and at lower elevation, but we just don't use the pool much in early May or late September. I have solar only, and it does get the pool warm more quickly, keeps it warm through cool spells during the summer, and keeps it warm much later in the year. Problem is that when the air temps start to drop, nobody wants to swim much, even with 86 degree water.

I honestly don't know how your elevation will affect solar gain with panels. If you have a good place to mount them, they are a much cheaper way of heating during the normal swimming season, and can certainly get your water to swimming temperature earlier.

Thanks John, I believe we're thinking in the same direction. It's been amazing how effective the solar was even with just 3 panels and my 18' round intex pool. I think with the new setup and all of the insulation, we'll be doing well. I run a separate pump for the solar. I might go ahead and grab a couple of extra panels as well. I'm considering building a frame around the panels and covering with high mil clear plastic so that I can really maximize the heating and minimize the wind effect. I have about an acre of area to choose from for locating the panels, so plenty of room. ;->

This seems like the best approach. Worst case would be that I would have to add some plumbing for the heater later if needed, but for now, I think I'll spend that money on some more safety features.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.