Another one saved with BBB

denisbaldwin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
A friend of mine asked me to help her open her pool this year. When I got there, about 24 hours ago, it was a wicked green. She had been running the DE filter for a solid two weeks 24 hours/day and it stayed green. Lots of chemicals from the pool store (and over $250 in costs for them!), she was about to give up and call a pool company. I backwashed, refilled her DE and kicked the pump back on.

I went over there, checked her levels with the TF-100 kit. Her Ph/AK/etc. weren't too far off, but there was no chlorine and no stabilizer and the pea soup she had moving about her pool told me she had one heck of an algae bloom.

I shocked it with 20 gallons of chlorine, bringing her shock level up to 40ppm. While I was waiting for it to work it's way through the system, I hauled out two big garbage bags full of leaves and debris from the bottom. When I left, it was slightly less green, but still very cloudy.

This morning, I came by to find lots of bubbles and froth on the surface and this beautiful blue-green-foggy colored water. I checked chlorine again, down to 10ppm. I pushed it back up to 30ppm and went to work.

Just stopped by there at lunch. Chlorine holding at 25ppm. Added some borax and muratic acid. Her levels are now exactly where they should be. The water is a really pretty milky blue now and I can almost see the bottom!

I'm going by after work tonight to finish the cleanup efforts. My total cost so far has been around $100, and most of that is Chlorine. This is way, way less than the pool company would have cost her and than she'd already spent without any results. I told her about TFP and invited her to join, but instead she offered me $100/month to come by weekly and check it. I have no interest in being a pool guy, but her salt system and DE filter should do most of the dirty work for me.

So, I wanted to thank everyone at TFP. Not only is my own pool beautiful now, but so is my friend's pool.

Denis

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.