Opening Chlorine Reading of 12.5 ppm??

DonW

Jun 27, 2008
Central IL.
We closed the pool last year on Oct. 5th., and according to my journal the readings were:
FC 27
TC 27
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 250
CYA 80

Opened this morning and on a lark took a water sample and got the following:

FC 12.5
TC 13
CC 0.5
PH 7.7
TA 250
CYA 60

(I'm going to address the high PH reading.)
Is it truely possible that we still have 12.5 FC residual? I expected zero, and CYA dropped 20????? (Super sunny today, might have a bearing on the 20 unit loss compared to an October day). I can smell the chlorine in the test sample!
O.K., the reagents are from last year, but the DPD powder and the FAS-DPD reagent should have a shelf life of 2 years. Just wanted to express my surprise and wonder if anyone else has experienced this residual chlorine "phenomenon".

I would say more and more members are reporting residual chlorine. It's a good indicator you had a nice clean pool that was well maintained and closed properly.....Nice work! :lol:

YOur pH is in a "normal" range but your TA is fairly high. If both remain pretty stable this season, I would suggest leaving them both alone. If your pH climbs continually, look into reduce your TA down to around 100ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.