Best Pool Chemistry Software or Application

May 28, 2010
Hi. First time poster. I've been checking out all the different pool forums and am glad I found this one. I'm a pool maintenance newbie but I'm ambitious to learn. Until now, I've been using test strips but still bringing my samples to the local pool supply for advice on what to do since I really never understood what the strip readings meant. I'm finally starting to understand things better though which is why I went ahead and ordered my first test kit.

I'd like to know if there are any good software programs where I can simply plug in the data from my tests and it will spit out a 'prescription' for what chemicals to add or what to do based on my pool size and other variables.

Thanks in adavance! :cheers:

P.S.
My pool is an in ground, about 11K gallons, diamond brite surface, with a 'spa' that pours into it. I don't have a heater at this time (go figure- the original owner/builder didn't install one). My pump and filter are Jacuzzi brand and I have one of those Rainbow 320 chlorinators.

Ditch the 320, bookmark the Pool Calculator (or buy the app if you have the iPhone), go to Pool School (top right on TFP home page) and get ready to stop going to the pool store (oh yeah, and buy a good test kit so you know what your pool is doing and needs!)!

See how simple that is :-D Welcome to the 'page!!

Richard320 said:
http://www.poolcalculator.com/I'll bet everyone here has it bookmarked!

Thanks!!!

Couple of qustions about the pool calculator:

How do I determine whether to use the 'Trouble Free Pool' or Tradional Pool' suggested goal levels?

As for 'Primary source of chlorine', does 'Bleach' include those big yellow liquid chlorine jugs I get from the store? What if I ALSO use the tablets?

Thanks again in advnace. I love this place already!!! :cheers:

simicrintz said:
Ditch the 320, bookmark the Pool Calculator (or buy the app if you have the iPhone), go to Pool School (top right on TFP home page) and get ready to stop going to the pool store (oh yeah, and buy a good test kit so you know what your pool is doing and needs!)!

See how simple that is :-D Welcome to the 'page!!

Uh oh. I should have expected the comment about the 320 :wink: I know that those tablet feeders are frowned upon by the real pool geeks (which I hope to become one of). I don't like the floating type dispensers for a few reasons though. And while I plan to maintain my pool as often and as best I can, I probably wont be doing it more than once a week (at most) so adding chemicals frequently to keep everything in perfect balance 24/7 will not be so likely - although I'll try to do it as often as I can.

But yeah, I'm looking forward to ditching my local pool stores from the pool testing & balancing advice perspective - although I'll still keep giving them my business for the chemicals and supplies. I've recently had a run of experiences making me distrustful of them.

I'm afraid you're going to discover all too soon that the "care and feeding" of your pool is going to require more attention than once a week. Err on the side of caution if you can.

Since you are here on TroubleFreePool.com, you should set the goals to the TroubleFreePool.com set :)

Here are TFP we have gone to some effort to come up with recommended levels that make more sense and work better than the "Traditional" recommendations that have been copied and passed around for years and years in the pool industry.

If you use trichlor tablets, you want the TA level higher than you would otherwise. If you have the tablet feeder going all the time, I suggest using trichlor as your primary source of chlorine. If you only use it occasionally you can go with bleach.

One important thing to keep in mind about the Pool Calculator is that it considers each level independently from the others. If several of your levels are off there may be interactions between them, but the Pool Calculator won't correct for that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.