Square Dancing...

The Mermaid Queen

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
Northern KY
Square dancing was so totally cool!! We really had a great time. There was a live caller with records, 45's actually! There were some folks who knew exactly what they were doing, there were many like me who had some experience, but not since Jr. high or High school PE class, and there were a bunch of little kids who barely knew left from right! It was a hoot! we had about 6 or 8 squares, it was kind of hard to tell!!

We did some traditional stuff like from school, some western kind with the stars, which I had never heard of, and a Virginia Reel. There was also some line dancing involved, including some C&W thing, the Macarena, and the chicken dance. We did everything except the C&W and the macerena.

And who knew it was aerobic exercise??? :shock: I'm beat!

Hope the chat went well, and all the tech geek speak is out of the way for a while! :lol: just kiddin'! 8)

The Mermaid Queen said:
Square dancing was so totally cool!! We really had a great time. There was a live caller with records, 45's actually! There were some folks who knew exactly what they were doing, there were many like me who had some experience, but not since Jr. high or High school PE class, and there were a bunch of little kids who barely knew left from right! It was a hoot! we had about 6 or 8 squares, it was kind of hard to tell!!

We did some traditional stuff like from school, some western kind with the stars, which I had never heard of, and a Virginia Reel. There was also some line dancing involved, including some C&W thing, the Macarena, and the chicken dance. We did everything except the C&W and the macerena.

And who knew it was aerobic exercise??? :shock: I'm beat!

Hope the chat went well, and all the tech geek speak is out of the way for a while! :lol: just kiddin'! 8)

You are just so...so.... whats the word ......
[marq=right] SQUARE :thumbs up: [/marq]
Steve

The Mermaid Queen said:
nah... what's that?

one couple raises their hands creating an arch and the opposite couple goes through - then the rest of the dancers in your Square follow. I used to go with my grandparents and was a pretty accomplished square dancer when I was 10 or 11. There was only one girl my age to dance with and she ended up being a lesbian. I was so tormented, that I had to give up square dancing forever. RIP....

We did something with the archy things, not exactly like you say... kind of a weaving pattern or something like that: go under, do a little circle thing with the opposite, go back... mostly tried hard not to clothesline ourselves with the arches made by little kids!!

Square dancing is a lot of fun. I used to belong to a Square Dance club when I lived in Ft. Lauderdale and danced once a week. I even did a bit of calling. Square dancing is learned on levels. I made it through B50 (basic 50) A1 and A2 (A is advanced) and most of C1 (C is concepts and has several levels). I used to love working with beginners and the most fun I had was when the choreographer of the country western dance team and the clogging team I was on decided to learn square dancing. ( I used to dance about 6 nights a week between Square dancing, Dance team practice, Clogging Team Practice, Dance Lessons I used to give and dancing for fun! I was sort of obsessed. :shock: I was her partner and was finally able to get my revenge for all the grueling workouts she would put us thorugh before we had an exhibition!

waterbear,
You're beginning to make me feel like my life is empty. Is there anything that you haven't dabbled in?

All kidding aside, I commend/envy you on your "jack of all trades" lifestyle.

Dave

ktdave said:
waterbear,
You're beginning to make me feel like my life is empty. Is there anything that you haven't dabbled in?
I've never jumped out of an airplane with a parachute--yet! :shock: :-D
All kidding aside, I commend/envy you on your "jack of all trades" lifestyle.

Dave
Life is meant ot be lived! :goodjob: It's not a spectator sport. :sleep: At least that's how I feel about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.