suction too strong while vacuuming?

Jeff74

Mar 10, 2010
Huntington, WV
While I was vacuuming my pool the other day, the triangular head vacuum seemed to get stuck on the bottom and it took every bit of my strength to pull it off the bottom. It does has a pretty good suction. I did notice that after the water settled, the liner was wrinkled a bit in that same spot.

Is this normal? I was thinking about getting the Diver Dave or Aquabug this summer, but what would have happened in this instance if I left the vacuum unattended?

It could be that your brushes are worn down. When they wear, the area between the vac head and pool bottom is reduced, creating more suction. They can be replaced on some vacs.

If that's not it, you can use a skimmer plate to vacuum and drill relief holes in it so the full pump flow doesn't go through the vacuum.

It sounds like a faulty head to me, that or there is an area in your pool that has an irregular hump or something. It's quite simple. If the head is in good shape and operating properly it should not stick, providing the surface it is on is flat. When i moved in here a year ago, the previous owner was using a vacuum head every day that was virtually stuck to the surface 100% of the time.

She must have had hellacious arm strength to run that thing. I went to the pool store and bought a new head and it now glides across the pool with ease.

@dmanb2b, as long as it's not the Baracuda Ranger Automatic Pool Cleaner! After years of having the Aqua Critter, Diver Dans etc. (we're talking YEARS of solid service) I saw the Baracuda Ranger and thought, well, why not try something different. Not only was it time-consuming to get into the pool but all it did was flap flap flop like some dying beast all around the pool and suck the liner (get stuck in one place too) and make loud noises! Didn't clean well at all! After two tries with the thing I threw it into the pool room and went back to the Aqua Critter/Diver Daves! What a waste of money!!! At least I can reuse the hoses to lengthen the Diver Dave. :)

BTW, you can pick up a Diver Dave on Amazon for a steal right now! Best price I've seen online!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
catchyoulater said:
@dmanb2b, as long as it's not the Baracuda Ranger Automatic Pool Cleaner! After years of having the Aqua Critter, Diver Dans etc. (we're talking YEARS of solid service) I saw the Baracuda Ranger and thought, well, why not try something different. Not only was it time-consuming to get into the pool but all it did was flap flap flop like some dying beast all around the pool and suck the liner (get stuck in one place too) and make loud noises! Didn't clean well at all! After two tries with the thing I threw it into the pool room and went back to the Aqua Critter/Diver Daves! What a waste of money!!! At least I can reuse the hoses to lengthen the Diver Dave. :)

BTW, you can pick up a Diver Dave on Amazon for a steal right now! Best price I've seen online!

Nope..not a Baracuda, rather a Pool Rover Jr. Wasn't trying to compare it to a Diver Dave either, just offering another alternative that has worked great for me. I can drop it in in the am and let the filter do it's thing during the day and not worry about replacing the skimmer basket...etc...that's all :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.