Pool Builder unresponsive - what are my choices?

lborne

Jun 29, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
My pool is still within the 1 year warranty. I've had two leaks repaired, but each time it took about 2 months for the PB to finally get around to fixing them. Now I have several other problems.

I have 2 spots in the tile grout that are bleeding rust through. I told the PB about this 3 months ago. A large rust spot appeared in the wall of the plaster - I think it is rebar bleed through. Notified PB of this over a month ago. He replies to my voicemails occasionally, promises to send someone out "this" week, and then it does not happen.

Other than notifying the BBB, what can I do. I thought of hiring my own people to fix the problems and then billing PB and/or taking him to court over the cost, plus $ for my time, etc. Or just taking him to court now over the fact that I think my pool is a lemon due to such poor workmanship.

Old saying - if it isn't in writing, it wasn't said

If he is really unresponsive, you need something to prove you tried to obtain a remedy BEFORE the warranty expired. A certified letter? If you know a lawyer perhaps something on their letterhead would cause movement.

I hate to hear this. It is so easy to just respond and handle things like this and maintain a reputation (assuming good one!) than see an upset customer and the repercussion from not addressing the issue(s).

I'd make one last call and "suggest" that he pick a day and time that you can meet to discuss the problems and solutions. If he is unable to make that happen, I would advise him that you will be posting a complaint with the BBB and Contractors State Licensing Board. That costs you nothing, but puts a blemish on his record, which he would probably prefer not to have.

Hopefully he will respond and address your issues. These are somewhat common pool issues, and relatively easy to fix. Less work than dodging phone calls and hoping he doesn't happen to bump in to you at the grocery store!

lborne, I hate to hear this. Do you know where he lives or does he have an office? I have my PB home address, office address, and I also have all his full time workers phone numbers. I remember contacting some of them last year and they came out to regrout my skimmer box, and the other fellow came out and helped me replace my intellibrite light. Do you know how to contact any of his full time workers? It seemed to work for me......

Depending on your pool builder, you may want to try and get the contact information for the CEO or president of operations. I had a similar problem with getting a warranted item corrected and had to bypass the warranty office and contact the vice president of the company. If you can PM me the builder and if its the same one I have the contact information for you.

Thanks all. The guy is a small time operation. He has a pretty good reputation. I know where his office is and he is just a contractor and subs everything out. I've called so many times and given him so many chances that I'm done trying that anymore. So I sent a certified letter today. Key points were all the problems I've had that I have fixed myself on the advice of his salesman because as he put it "its never going to happen if you let the owner handle it", all the current problems, and that I want it done by end of June.

Also put in that I think all these problems prove "poor workmanship" and "poor quality", and that any future problems to do with rebar rusting and expanding will be covered under warranty since he is not fixing it promptly.

We will see if it helps. If not, I'll report him to the BBB and contact a lawyer.

Re: Pool Builder unresponsive - UPDATE - help needed

I came home from work today and there was a 1.5" diameter patch where the rust was bleeding though the plaster wall. I'm pretty confident it was done by my PB - the owner himself who I've been dealing with. Its pretty shoddy work and the patch is concave. I called and left him a message because my issues are:

1. I specifically requested that no work be done unless I was present and for him to call me when he or the repair person was on their way. I can leave work anytime to be home.

2. As of right now, the last thing the PB told me was that the stain was probably algae. Obviously he was wrong because you don't patch 1 algae stain.

3. A pool repair professional (that fixed the leaks in my pool) said the rebar rust through will just leak around the patch and that this is a serious problem that needs to be fixed properly.

4. I don't want a white patch in my brand new pool - I want it to match the plaster as close as possible.

5. I want something in writing from the PB that says this is not serious and not rebar if he inisits it is not. Then give me an extended warranty in that area from future rebar problems.

6. None of the other issues, including 2 other rust bleed throughs at the waterline in the tile grout, have been fixed.

What can I do? Is there anything else I should be asking for from the PB?

Take pictures of the work that was done, write another letter detailing the situation just like you did here. Let him know you are not satisfied with the work and that what was done today does not relive him of his responsibilities.

For what it's worth:

If he shows up without you present, that would be trespassing. We have a dog (friendly) in our fenced pool area. All access is LOCKED when we are not home for her safety as well as others. Obviously something was open for him to enter. Our homeowners insurance gave us a lower rate for doing things this way. That way if someone does enter, it's a clear case of trespassing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.