Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bubbles in the water from pool return

1. Back To Top    #1

Bubbles in the water from pool return

Hi, anyone knows if a broken seal in the pump ( shaft seal, or/and the seal plate) will create bubbles in the pool. My pool is taking air someplace and I can't find it. Thanks.
    * Bought a home 2010 with a vinyl IG, believed to be 8,800 gallon
    * Hayward 3025 Swimclear filter, with Hayward 1.5HP Super Pump ... 50.76 GPM
    * TF100 testkit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bubbles in the water from pool return

Probably not. It would be in the strainer basket housing or before that. Drain plugs and strainer basket lid O-rings are common sources of leaks. Lube them heavily with pool lube. Valves on the suction lines can leak around the shaft, or if they are union-type valves can need tightened. Also make sure the skimmer weir is floating freely and that there is no surging or strong swirling in the skimmer.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

What and where is the skimmer weir?
    16X32 Rectangular In Ground Built 1998, New Vinyl liner and Motor 8/2012, 19,000, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump,PoolPilot DIG-220 SWG, 2 Skimmers, Main Drain, Clean Machine Robot, Full Sun, Bleach, TFTest Kit
    Central, VA

4. Back To Top    #4

The skimmer opening often has a swinging door, called a weir. The weir is designed to get the skimmer to only draw water from the very top surface of the water. If the weir door gets stuck, it can sometimes reduce the water flow enough that the skimmer starts drawing in air along with the water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!!

Not that there is anything wrong with Jason's response

The weir serves a second purpose of floating up, when the pump is off, to keep all the debris IN the skimmer
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)