getting started with autopilot

Jul 13, 2007
If this information is already on the forum, just point me in the right direction. I will have a 33000 gallon vinyl pool with a digital 60 autopilot (I am purchasing and the PB is installing). I am wondering if there is a trick to getting started after the pool is full of city water? I am assuming that the unit will not produce the amount of chlorine that we will need at start up. Should the water be conditioned before the unit is turned on? I am really talking about bleach/shock and not the salt. My neighbors pool didn't ever produce enough chlorine (pentair unit) so he eventually shocked it to get the reading up even though the water looked great. Thanks in advance for the help!

adjust your TA and pH first then add the salt and the stabilizer and let it circulate so the salt will dissovle. It will take about 24 hours, the stabilzier will take about a week. Once the salt is dissovled fire the unit up but check the chlorine levels for the first week and add bleach since the chlorine will burn off in the sun very quickly until you have enough stablizer dissovled in the water.

Strannik said:
You will need to shock your pool to bring chlorine level up. Chlorine generators are not designed to bring the chlorine level from 0 up to the necessary level.

I have overseen many SWGs go online and have never had a problem with the unit bringing the clorine level up within about 48 hours. Granted the output is raised for the first few days. I can see a problem if the cell is sized close to the capacity of the pool but other than that I do not think shocking is really necesary. Perhaps bringing the chlorine level up to normal operating ragne wihc liquid chlorine would be helpful.

waterbear said:
Strannik said:
You will need to shock your pool to bring chlorine level up. Chlorine generators are not designed to bring the chlorine level from 0 up to the necessary level.

I have overseen many SWGs go online and have never had a problem with the unit bringing the clorine level up within about 48 hours. Granted the output is raised for the first few days. I can see a problem if the cell is sized close to the capacity of the pool but other than that I do not think shocking is really necesary. Perhaps bringing the chlorine level up to normal operating ragne wihc liquid chlorine would be helpful.

Yeah that's what i meant by shocking :) Generally chlorine generators (if sized properly) can bring the chlorine level up, but that's not what they are designed for, and it puts unnecessary load on them. Chlorine is cheap, put few litres in. :)

Strannik said:
Yeah that's what i meant by shocking :) Generally chlorine generators (if sized properly) can bring the chlorine level up, but that's not what they are designed for, and it puts unnecessary load on them. Chlorine is cheap, put few litres in. :)

OK, we are on the same page then! :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.