Better Pressure gauges available...????

nauidvr1

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 8, 2009
I am sick of replacing my 'el chepo pressure gauge every year. It always gets stuck in a single position that looks like the needle wrapped around past the max PSI reading and stays there. I have to replace it every year. Are there better higher end oil filled gauges available, that maybe have some dampening in them?

If you can provide links to a few, it would be much appreciated!

Look for a Fimco 0-60PSI gauge. Farm and lawn/landscaping type products use these. I just bring mine in the house in the winter. If your filter is outdoors, keep an old gauge to plug the hole during the winter.

There are tons of glycerin filled gauges out there. I'm buying a 0-30PSIG gauge instead of the usual 0-60PSIG because my pressure never gets nearly that high. Secondly I'm buying a bottom mount gauge and mounting it on a 90º elbow.

There are a couple of issues with the "standard issue" gauge. First, it is cheaply made so it's prone to failure. Second is that after a bit of use a small amount of water gets into the bourdon tube (the thingy that makes the needle move) and then it will freeze and ruin the gauge over winter. There a few ways to help the situation.
  1. Buy better quality gauges[/*:m:1kp53nk3]
  2. Bring them inside in the winter[/*:m:1kp53nk3]
  3. Buy bottom entry gauges and mount them vertically with a 90º elbow.[/*:m:1kp53nk3]
  4. Buy diaphragm seal gauges[/*:m:1kp53nk3]

The last option is probably cost prohibitive for most folks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.