Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie Needs Advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie Needs Advice

Ok, so after spending all the money on stuff you need to make the "affordable" pool work, I bought an HTH 6 way test kit. Decided to check the water chemistry from the source from which we will be filling it (the hose).

Chlorine- no reading
    pH 7.6/7.7 (uh...HtH apparently does not believe in the necessity of having a color for every
    tenth)
    TA the green NEVER changed to red--no matter how many drops of the alk titrant I put in)
    TH the red NEVER turned to blue --no matter how many drops I put in.

The HTH "chemist" said that I have really hard water and very alkaline water and to buy "......."
    to fix it. What do I do when I can't even get a reading? How do I know how much BBB stuff to use?

This person even said that I should just wait until I fill my pool and I will definitely get a "reading". I thought the idea was for me to check my source water and then I would know what stuff to buy (from Pool School).

I am tired of thinking so uch about this pool. I just want get it up and float around with a margarita in my hand!
    AG Intex Ultra Frame
    Round 16 ft x 48 in, 5061 gal
    2500 gph Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter
    BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie Needs Advice

Check to see if there is a date anywhere on the kit. This is one time I would use a pool store to check my water and see what they get for TA and CH. If they try to sell you anything tell them you think you have some at home. Since you do not have a plaster pool I would not worry too much about the Calcium levels. How many drops did you add before you stopped counting for the TA test?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I added about 25 drops! At about 7 or 8 drops, there was a red swirl that quickly dissipated into the green (the entire green tube didn't turn red).
    AG Intex Ultra Frame
    BBB

4. Back To Top    #4

On TA, you should go up to at least 50 drops, and on CH go up to at least 100 drops, before giving up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

The fact that you saw the red swirl says that it would eventually turn red if you put enough drops in. Mine it does the same thing. A small red swirl after a few drops then after many drops it turns the whole vial full red.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

And be sure to add one more drop after you think it is red to see if it changes to more red. I used to stop too soon. Don't count the drop that does not change the color anymore.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the advice!
    AG Intex Ultra Frame
    BBB