Large FC usage, and what level of FC to shoot for?

flyboy320

Jul 23, 2009
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Here are my numbers;

FC = 5
CC = 0
TC = 5
PH = 7.6
TA = 60
CH = 90
CYA = 40
Borates = 50
Temp = 88F

The last couple of days I have been burning up between 4-6 FC a day. I did a drop test last night and it only dropped 1, so I guess those numbers are normal for me. The last two days have been very hot and not a cloud in the sky, and my pool gets full sun for most of the day. We have been swimming for a few hours each day and have had tons of pollen, actually dandelion fluff in the pool as well (just above the water line in the skimmer there is a yellow scum line from all the pollen). Water is clear and no apparent problems that I can tell from the look of the water.

So I have a couple of questions.

1. Is the chlorine loss I'm getting reasonable (I know each pool is different :) )?

2. If I am adding chlorine in the morning, how much FC am I trying to shoot for when I test again the following morning? I see the CYA chart says for a CYA of 40, the ideal value is 5, and min is 3. So in the morning prior to adding the chlorine for the day, do I want the FC to be at 5, or 3?

flyboy320 said:
Here are my numbers;

FC = 5
CC = 0
TC = 5
PH = 7.6
TA = 60
CH = 90
CYA = 40
Borates = 50
Temp = 88F

The last couple of days I have been burning up between 4-6 FC a day. I did a drop test last night and it only dropped 1, so I guess those numbers are normal for me. The last two days have been very hot and not a cloud in the sky, and my pool gets full sun for most of the day. We have been swimming for a few hours each day and have had tons of pollen, actually dandelion fluff in the pool as well (just above the water line in the skimmer there is a yellow scum line from all the pollen). Water is clear and no apparent problems that I can tell from the look of the water.

So I have a couple of questions.

1. Is the chlorine loss I'm getting reasonable (I know each pool is different :) )?

2. If I am adding chlorine in the morning, how much FC am I trying to shoot for when I test again the following morning? I see the CYA chart says for a CYA of 40, the ideal value is 5, and min is 3. So in the morning prior to adding the chlorine for the day, do I want the FC to be at 5, or 3?
There's something using your Chlorine, and it isn't the sun at night.

Could be pollen, could be the swimmer load, could be - gasp - algae. You might want to push it up to shock level for a couple days, just to be sure. Beyond that, you want to keep enough Chlorine in there so that it doesn't drop below 3 before you can add more. If you're losing 4/day, then bump it up to 7.

A little more CYA will slow the loss, if you're in full sun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.