Sandstone vs. sand under Intex pool

May 27, 2010
We are purchasing a 15' x 48" Intex Metal Sided Pool. (Want to try this out before we take the plunge and get a more permanent pool. We're laying the plans for set up and I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me out with. Our lot is fairly unlevel with a wavy consistency, probably about a foot difference from one point to another. It's a side yard that isn't visible to the street so we haven't cared too much about how it looks. The soil is hard and solid. We are considering using landscaping timbers to create a level area and filling it with sandstone (not regular sand) as a means to create a platform for the pool. (My husband is an architect and we just used this approach to create a play area around out swingset. We've read a number of posts about regular sand washing out and the pools failing. My understanding is sandstone is much tougher and when wet it becomes fairly compact. Has anyone taken this approach? What was your experience? And in general how does the Intex hold up with sandstone underfoot? Thanks for your feedback. We'd like to avoid a catastrophe and appreciate any help you might offer.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

With a vinyl liner you have to be careful not to have sharp edges that will puncture or cut threw the liner. Sand is what we have under our pool. The PB took about 12" off the ground to make it level using a skidder. Then put the sand on. Makes it all level. We have had no problems and have had torrential rains since the install in April.

I have seen others post here about "Happy Bottoms" You might check into those.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.