frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
Key West, FL
Had to replace my pump, and I bought this one:

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/above_ground_pump.htm
and I need the side discharge....it came with the discharge up on the top, and we can't figure out how to get it to rotate. The directions say to remove the "thru-bolts" on the motor and rotate it 90 degrees.... we can't figure that out! Aargh...

Any advice? We removed the faceplate screws but can't figure out how to access the "thru bolts"...if they are what we think they are. The faceplate doesn't seem to budge even tho the screws are removed, if we even need to remove them... are we missing something obvious?

Any tips or ideas...hoping to get this working tonight... :oops:

When "clocking" a motor in the past, sometimes I've run into some that won't turn. It's the paint. Never done a pump motor, but I imagine it could happen. You may need to tap things gently with a plastic hammer. Or a block of wood. Something that won't dent the metal.

Well....the saga continues. So it rotated easily. That drama was apparently the least of our worries...

Took over an hour to get the darn pump hooked up and it was leaking at the basket/pump union... finally figured out the o ring gasket was missing. I won't go into detail but lets just say the 45 minutes we spent trying to get everything "right" - it rivaled a scene from a Marx brothers movie... So I made sure the switch was off and we plugged it in, and it started even though it was in the "off" position. No difference between "off" and "low" speed! What the? Plus, air in the pump basket, can't figure out why.... anyway, switch it to high, and it makes a strange noise and shuts off, like a breaker trips. Suddenly, it turns on again, in low speed. We're just standing there doing nothing...thinking "its possessed"...

Try again, same thing... we realize something's not right and we're freaking out because we need this pump to work TONIGHT.

So we decide to take the end (where the switch is) off to look at the wiring. The Off wire is bent and out of position. We manage to get the wires where we think they should be, replace the cap and plug it in...seems to be working fine now....we'll see in the morning. I need this to go smoothly! Apparently I crack under pressure, LOL...

Thanks everyone :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Glad you got it fixed Mom. :-D

Have a great weekend.

I just found out that I'm going to have a home alone weekend; all neighbors, other three houses back in the woods near us, gone for weekend, and DH out of town. I'm going to be the only human here. I'm surely glad they don't have as many animals as we have or I'd be really busy.

If I didn't have so much work to do I think I could stir up some trouble. :twisted: At any rate I feel pretty safe with all my dogs and neighbor's pit mix here too. Going to pay special attention to locking doors, though, and having doggies around me at all times. At any rate I'm going to get a big hunk of a steak to grill out and all the fixins for a baked potatoe and some really caloric desserts, like a banana split and Hagen Daz icecream. (DH, the carb nazi, and the cook, doesn't approve of potatoes and sweets.)

I just got up and closed the blinds; some we never close. I think I'll watch a scary movie tonight. :mrgreen:

All, have a great weekend.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.