Opening pool , need help on what to add

t6pool

May 3, 2010
Hi, this is my first year opening, 2nd with a pooll. I have an swg and a heat pump. 16x32 in ground about 19.5 gal.

TC = .2
FC = 0.0
PH = 6.4
TA = 40
CH = 160
CYA = 0

My water is pretty cloudy.

Can aeration bring my ph up or should I add Borax? I dont have borate test strips. When I moved in last year I saw a box of 20 mule in the laundry room,not sure if it was for laundry or the pool ;)

The pool store is trying to sell me everything and I only want to buy what I need.

I also posted this in BBB as it seems like a less expensive easier way to maintain the pool

Thanks in advance!

I shocked my pool with 2 lbs of 68% cal-hypo and will test tomorrow. I went to the pool calculator to see what I need to add and it seems like quite a bit of chemicals. I'm going to add the chemicals in the order that the pool store gave me. Do I need to add algaecide or clarifier?
Thanks!

Since your pH is as low as it is and your TA is low I'd go ahead and add the Borax to bring the pH up. Then you need to get some chlorine in there.
I'd suggest bringing the TA up to about 70 or so with baking soda too.

You do not need any algaecide or clarifier.

AND, since those numbers look like pool store numbers you really need your own good test kit.

Thanks for the info. I'm using test strips now and hope to order a kit this weekend. I added 3 boxes of borax, a bit under what the pool calculator says and waited about 1/2 hour to retest. The pH seems pretty high right now maybe near 8.... Do I need to wait longer to retest.

Thanks in advance!

What is your FC level now? When FC is above 10, the pH can read false-high.
If the FC is below 10, retest the PH in about 30 minutes. If it's above 7.8, lower it to 7.4 with acid.
You need to get some CYA in the pool to protect your FC from uv destruction.

Thanks for all of your input. I've had to shock about 3 or 4 times and now my FC level just held over night. I have CYA in a sock and have the aquabot running now. There's quite a bit of sediment at the bottom of the pool, I'll vacuum and scrub whatever the aquabot doesn't get. The pool is considerably clearer now that my FC is holding. I have my DIG220 w/ RC35 set at 90 % output and water temp up to 89F. PH is looking good too. I'm ordering a recommended test kit on Tuesday.

My filter pressure has only gone up about 2 psi too....

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.