Numbers from Pool Store Yesterday
TA 110
PH 6.9
CYA 60
TH 270
TDS 1500
TC 9.2
FC 9.2

My # tonight w/TFP test kit after adding well water last night w/ pump running 24/7
TA 220
PH 7.5
CC0
CYA 70_80 ? I still can't tell very well
CH 290
I've put numbers in pool calculator but I'm confused do I need to add chlorine and lower the PH to get the TA down? New at this but I've shocked w/ High CYA and drained water to below skimmers yesterday and refill (well water)to try and get CYA down. I like the pool store CYA 60 but not sure if there's is correct and mine is wrong. Please guide me. The #'s are better than before drain. TA was 250 CH 425 FC 20.5 PH 7.8
Water is now clear was cloudy before drain and blue. Thanks

The first thing is to trust your testing. CYA is one of the tests that the pool stores most often get wrong. You can pour the CYA sample back and forth a few times to get used to how it looks.

You didn't post your current FC number. Depending on what it is you may need to add chlorine.

The process for lowering is to lower the pH to about 7.0 with acid which lowers TA then aerate to bring pH back up without affecting TA. You repeat this process until your TA is where you want it.

You might want to do the TA test again, and this time wipe the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after every five drops. Sometimes the TA reagent bottle builds up a static charge that affects the test results. Wiping with a damp cloth/tissue will remove the charge and insure a correct result.

I believe the FC was 8.5 sorry I skipped that. I'm at work and I think that was correct it was in the range. Will ck numbers again tonight. Had a storm last night and rained close to 1 inch. I've wiped bottle between drops but I'll try again. So with the CYA I can retest with the same sample? What range should I be shooting for with the TA and is CH 290 OK?

CH should be 300 or lower in a vinyl pool, so you are fine there.

TA should ideally be between 70 and 90, but somewhat higher is fine in most situations. If your TA level is really 220, you should bring it down some, say to 150. Once you are down to 150, see if you have problems with the PH constantly going up. If you do, then lower the TA further. Before you go to the trouble of lowering TA, I just want to be sure your TA really is 220.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.