Liner Thickness and Color Pic Request

Bellicusa

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Bellmawr, NJ
I am in the middle of trying to bring my pool back from the dead. One step is a new liner.

Found the place I want to order from (I can afford) ... but have a couple issues.

I am rather partial to blue...always sorta thought that was the way it was supposed to be.

The place I am looking at to buy the liner from has a couple 27Mil liners but they are gray. The blue liners they have (that are in my price range) are only 20Mil. I did a search on this and have seen some responses. Typically I read that thicker is better, but harder to install. Question is, how much better? If there is a real significant difference in the two that makes the thickness more important than the color, then this is a no-brainer.

My pool has steel walls and what looks to my uneducated eyes as a sand/portland base. The walls are smooth (and anywhere there might be rust I can sand to smooth and paint prior to reinstall. I have 2 70# boxers I expect will end up in the pool at some point...so there is some concern about nails and vinyl.

I guess Im looking for someone to step up and tell me what I should do.

Also, I have found a ton of pics of blue liners installed with water...but having a hard time finding gray samples to look at. Would make it a bit easier a sell to the wife if I end up going with the thicker liner color.

Thanks for the help.

Anthony

What kind of steps do you have? White Fiberglass is easily seen by the dogs and they can be trained easily to use them to get out. My lab and shepherd both have dragadillar nails and I never have a problem. They will jump in anywhere but only get out at the steps.

I have customers with Boxers. Upside down tongues with car springs for legs and energy to burn. What's not to love!

My liner is 20 mil and it's fine. If the walls are rough, wall foam can be added, usually for less if you do this whole project yourself, not something I recommend. Thicker isn't all that important. If the pool is big, a 27/28 mil wall may require a 3rd man to install but usually not. A little bead lock here and there makes a wonderful 3rd hand.

Gray and black need waivers as it's hard to see the break or bottom is some lighting conditions and in others, every dimple shows. I urge you stick with a blue pattern. The dimples are often better hidden and are easier to vacuum.

Computer screens and printed media will not show what the liner really looks like. There are too many differences between screens and ink densities. Often, small details are missing.

By doing this yourself, without ever having seen it done, you run a much higher risk of getting wrinkles or into other troubles that few will be willing to help you with. My own policy is if I didn't measure it, I won't install it. Mail order liner suppliers can only offer so much assistance.

Scott

Scott

Hi Anthony,

In regards to liner color:
Water filters out the red and yellow end of the spectrum so a few inches below the water surface everything looks blue. Thats probably why you have never seen a picture of a grey pool.

The neat thing about using non-blue liners is the effect it has on the color of the pool at varying depths. So lets take a tan pattern. At the top of the pool you see the tile. Just below the tile it looks a little tan, but at the bottom of the wall it's aqua. At the bottom of the hopper pad it's an even richer shade of aqua.

So, where a blue liner will give you a plain, monotone, look a non-blue liner will give you depth of color and contrast.

In regards to liner thickness:
I'm a big fan of 28/27 on the walls and 20 on the floors. It will give you the best fit and durability with minimal additional cost. ...but I've heard of dogs tearing up the bottom of the pools with the nails on their hind legs. You may want to go with the heavier gauge bottom material.

Lastly:
I totally agree with Scott--don't pick a solid colored liner; you will see every little imperfection in the pool bottom.

Liner over step material, when ordered (its a worthwhile up-charge for those pools requiring a liner over-step design), is usually thicker and textured to withstand the pounding and prevent slipping. White material works best for dogs , as stated in my earlier post.

If you are able, clip the boxers nails and smooth the edges, the chances of holing the steps are greatly reduced. I usually refer to boxers as K9s with car springs for legs. They do have a tremendous amount of energy and frequently love to swim. My experiences with them has show they will do one of 3 things, stand at the steps and take a drink, swim a lap and get out to race around till they are dry and repeat, or they will go in and stay in for a while and not get out till they tire (almost always a short term proposition, especially with dogs under 5 years old).

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.