Water just tested. What is the BBB to lower PH

Do we look for something called Muratic Acid or ..... PH minus in the pool chemical section? Is the Muratic Acid a chemical sold in the pool chemical section.? Sorry if it sounds stupid.

No stupid questions....
Muratic Acid (also called Hydrochloric acid) is usually found in the paint section - though some stores do put it by the pool stuff. YOu may have to ask...
PH minus adds sulphates to the water so we don't usually recommend it.

ditto to what FPM said, she beat me to the punch...

Muriatic Acid can be found in both the pool section and the paint section. In the paint section it usually comes as 20° BAUME (31.45%). In the pool section I have found it as 14.5% at the same price per gallon as the 31.45% stuff, so basically twice as expensive.

It has a tendency to give off fumes (the stronger stuff will fume more) so try to keep the wind at your back when pouring. It is wise to wear safety gear (hand and eye protection) to protect yourself. Remember, it is just another name for hydrochloric acid (HCL) so think chemistry class.

At home depot and lowes, I usually find it outside in the plant section. Typically the pool stuff is out there as well, but I have seen it inside. So if you go to home depot or lowes, go out to the plant section and look around. If not ask. I have found a warehouse pool supply store and they sel it in 4 gallon boxes for 20.00 bucks or so.

I got some yesterday at Lowe's, on the cleaning aisle. It was $6.53 per gallon (20 baume, 31.45%). I didn't get a chance to check out the carton (4 gallons) price because I could not have carried it out and I was in a huge hurry, but the cartons were up under the first shelf, behind the individual gallons (on the floor level).

Yes, if you are a little careful when adding it. You want to pour muriatic acid slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running. That will mix it into the pool quickly and be safe for the liner. If you spill some directly on the liner you should wash it off as quickly as possible and you should never add muriatic acid when the pump is not running. The fumes can be annoying, try to avoid them.

Ashbourne said:
I got some yesterday at Lowe's, on the cleaning aisle. It was $6.53 per gallon (20 baume, 31.45%). I didn't get a chance to check out the carton (4 gallons) price because I could not have carried it out and I was in a huge hurry, but the cartons were up under the first shelf, behind the individual gallons (on the floor level).

At lowes I have only seen it sold in 2 gallons at a time. The warehouse pool supply by my house sells them in boxes for 4 for around 20.00.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.