1500 Gallon In Ground Hot Tub

May 27, 2010
I've got a 1500 gallon gunnite in-ground spa with a Raypak 406A elec ignition heater.
Professionally winterized in Dec, trying my hand at summerizing before the weekend.
Drained the spa, cleaned all the debris, removed plugs, reinstalled 2 plugs in pump and pump filter, reinstalled big plug in filter, cleaned debris from heater, installed 1 drain plug in heater (on Right hand side near pvc pipes to/from the rest of the works.

Issue #1 - I have an extra drain plug -- cant figure out where it goes- any suggestions? it is gray and looks like the other Raypak plug.

Issue #2 - after opening gas valve, return valve and skimmer valve, what else do I need to do before priming pump, flipping circuit breakers and turning it on?

Issue #3 - do I need to do anything with the filter (bleed air?) before dumping DE into the spa? Anyone know how many pounds of DE I need to use? When do I pump it? Before or after turning on the pump?

Thanks to all

Stu in VA

ps feel free to email me directly to [email protected]

The gray plug goes in the heater header by the plumbing. If you have a Hayward In-Line chlorinator, one of your plugs will have a white deposit on the end. That is the plug for the chlorinator.

Since you didn't tell use what filter you have, we can't tell you how much DE to use.

Add a gallon or two of water to the pump before closing the lid. Make sure the basket doesn't have cracks. If it does, replace it.

Bleed the filter as the pump is priming.

Scott