Can I use DE in a regular cartridge filter?

denisbaldwin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
I know you can add a bit of DE to sand filters. Is there any reason I couldn't add DE to a cartridge filter? Would it make it more efficient? Would it ruin the cartridge? With no backwash valve, would I have to clean the filter as I normally do by removing it, washing it out and then adding back DE?

I've been saving my pennies to buy a bigger better filter and I'm down to either the big Pentair Quad DE 100 Filter and the Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Filter CCP520. If I can add DE to the CCP520, I'll do that and have the best of both worlds.

Denis

DE cartridge elements are a a woven cloth designed to accept DE, and to allow DE to wash off of it. Cartridge elements are a non-woven material that the DE can wedge itself into and be VERY hard to clean off. We generally don't recommend it as it will permanently clog your cartridge filter and cause higher pressure drop long term (until you replace the cartridge).

Pentair's cartridge media is finer than most on the market, and will give you excellent performance in terms of clarity. It will remove particles down to 10 microns or so. DE will get you down to 5 micron. Cartridge is easy, but if that last level of clarity matters to you, DE can't be beat.

Even with the Quad DE you are going to have to clean those cartridges every once in a while. The frequency depend on what type of fine stuff goes into your filter and how much. I have EXTREME amounts of clay and chalk dust, some finer than DE. It really sticks to the cartridges. It may be sticking more than normal, too, as I use cellulose which filters down even finer than DE. I've been using the cellulose for almost a year with two different filters, the old 36 sq ft DE and my new Quad 80. Cellulose has been filtering better in both and did make for more backwashing with the old filter too.

The claim for the alternative filter media is that you can go longer between backwashes (once you get the water really polished) but I think it depends on what type of fine substances you are filtering a how much.

The rule is to buy the biggest filter you can. In my case going from 36 to 80 sq ft has proven to lessen the resistance in the filter but running my new VF pump at a lower speed also helps.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.