Bleachcalc correct?

shadylady23

Jul 18, 2007
Southwest NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Hi there,

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but bleachcalc is telling me I need 3 litres of bleach to raise my pool 12 ppm. Does that sound correct if I'm at about 3 and my cya is at like 30? My pool is 14800 gallons. I'm using the big walmart 6% bottles of bleach ( 174 ounces) That would be less than one bottle.

FYI You can change the bleachcalc program to calculate in gallons instead of litres.

It will take almost 3 gallons to raise it by 12ppm

..and yes, the bleachcalc program has a couple of flaws - if you'll notice - (anyway, on mine), the first result field will sometimes say 2 gallons 0 quarts, 0 cups.... but the OR field below will say 3 gallons.

Try Jason's caluclator at this link JasonLions Calculator
He's done such a great job on it.

I know, it sucks. I don't have a good test kit. All I have is those stupid strips. Do you think the pool store will be able to at least get the FC level correct? I hear such bad things about them always permorming the test wrong and not getting accurate results. I know I really need to just get out and buy a good kit. But I'm going to be closing my pool in about a month so I think I'm gonna wait till next year.

If the pool store uses drop tests, they are usually better. Run away if they are using strips.

Some pool stores are better than others. I've actually had decent luck with Leslie's, but another local pool store in my neighborhood - I wouldn't trust their tests much.

When you take a sample to the pool store - make sure it's fresh - less than 1/2 hour old is best and also if not sitting in hot car/sun during that time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.