Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleachcalc correct?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleachcalc correct?

Hi there,

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but bleachcalc is telling me I need 3 litres of bleach to raise my pool 12 ppm. Does that sound correct if I'm at about 3 and my cya is at like 30? My pool is 14800 gallons. I'm using the big walmart 6% bottles of bleach ( 174 ounces) That would be less than one bottle.
    13,500 gallon 24' AG. Sand filter, Lomart 1 hp pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

i used the old bleach cal and came up with in order to raise from 3 -12 would require 2 .2gals or 2 gals 3 cups & 4 oz i havent tryed it on the new cal.
    a/g 24'round 4' app 13500 gal sand filter 16''hayward (100lbs sand)1hp single speed pump on timer 12 on 12 off day &night and i use the bbb maintaince

3. Back To Top    #3

FYI You can change the bleachcalc program to calculate in gallons instead of litres.

It will take almost 3 gallons to raise it by 12ppm

..and yes, the bleachcalc program has a couple of flaws - if you'll notice - (anyway, on mine), the first result field will sometimes say 2 gallons 0 quarts, 0 cups.... but the OR field below will say 3 gallons.

Try Jason's caluclator at this link JasonLions Calculator
    He's done such a great job on it.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

4. Back To Top    #4

So do you think that 2 of the 174 ounce bottles will do it? Each bottle is like 1.359 gallons. I'm not too good at this calculating stuff, but that's what I put in, So hopefully it's enough.

5. Back To Top    #5
    EAsy way to know for sure is to test the water about 1 hour after putting it in!

6. Back To Top    #6

I know, it sucks. I don't have a good test kit. All I have is those stupid strips. Do you think the pool store will be able to at least get the FC level correct? I hear such bad things about them always permorming the test wrong and not getting accurate results. I know I really need to just get out and buy a good kit. But I'm going to be closing my pool in about a month so I think I'm gonna wait till next year.

7. Back To Top    #7

If the pool store uses drop tests, they are usually better. Run away if they are using strips.

Some pool stores are better than others. I've actually had decent luck with Leslie's, but another local pool store in my neighborhood - I wouldn't trust their tests much.

When you take a sample to the pool store - make sure it's fresh - less than 1/2 hour old is best and also if not sitting in hot car/sun during that time.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.