Rochester, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I won't have enough FAS DPD reagent (K-2006) to finish my shock. I've been testing 2-3 times per day and it went quick. I can't find any locally so i'll have to wait a week or so for online order to arrive. I do have access to to DPD reagents (#1 and #2 i believe). Can i use these with my K-2006 kit? I know it's not ideal but at least it's better than nothing.

ok. I guess i'll have to buy the DPD test kit. How to I go about managing a shock with it? I'm not sure how it works. Can i use it to keep my shock level at 20? I need something to manage the chlorine until the replacement reagent shows up. Sorry for the questions. I'm sure it's on the board somewhere, but i don't have time to search due to work and if i am going to pick something up, it'll have to be right after work.

I wouldn't buy the DPD kit. It really won't help with a shock level that high. I'd recommend checking with tftestkits and see if they can ship the FAS-DPD refills to you overnight. I know it'll cost more but you'll have something you can actually use.

In a bind you could buy a cheap OTO kit and dilute the pool water. 1 part pool water to 3 parts chlorine free water and multiply the results by 4. It's not accurate at all but it's slightly better than nothing.

as of noon. it dropped 3.5ppm for overnight test.
raised FC to 20 this morning and at noon
CC .05
ph 7.3- tested before shocking
TA 90
CH 110
CYA approx 55-60
20000 gal inground vinyl

I will suggest something similar to bama rambler.

Dilute your pool water by half and test using the OTO kit. When your water appears to test 5ppm in the OTO test block, it will actually be 10ppm.

Next Calculate enough FC to get you to 25ppm and put that amount to the pool.

Repeat as needed.

Diluting more than 50% in my experience, is wildly innaccurate, but a 50% dilution is not too bad. The 25ppm target is a little over your ppm but with a CYA of 55-60, you will be fine.

So, you will be fluctuating between roughly 10ppm and roughly 25ppm......not exactly ideal but it will be close enough until you can get the 870 powder and/or the 871 reagent to resume your FAS/DPD testing (1-3 days, if you order today, depending on where you live)

tree debris and a constant state of shock

This has been an extremely dry and hot past couple of weeks in western NY. Our pool is surrounded by trees. I'm currently shocking the pool due to a cloudiness issue. It is clearing up but the overnight FC test is still dropping. This may or may not have anything to due with the constant tree pollen/organic debris that is falling in the pool. Will i ever get ahead of it? Or will it constantly keep eating FC and make my overnight test fail which in turn will make me continue to shock until pollen/debris season is over? This is my first season of BBB.
20000 vinyl IG
FC 20 continue to shock 3x per day until pass Overnight test
CC remains at .5
PH has been steady at 7.3
TA 90
CH 110
CYA approx 55-60
The ironic part is that I discuss pools with 2 people regularly. 1 of them doesn't test very often and just adds a jug of bleach 2 or 3 times a week. Another does test at a pool store every 2 weeks or so and also dumps bleach in a few times a week. Neither has had an alge problem and their eyes glaze over when i start talking pool chemistry. Here i am, telling them they should test for such and such and i wind up with a cloudy pool. Go figure.

Re: tree debris and a constant state of shock

jt,

Please keep your related posts all in one thread. Responders here are looking for a complete "story". keeping your posts together gives a better picture and saves redundant Q&A's.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Makes sense. Sorry for the etiquette faux pas. My FC drop last night was only 1.5. So i think i may be almost there. I was able to track down 16 oz of the FAS-DPD reagent locally for $30. I realize it has a year or so shelf life, but considering that the 2oz. size would have cost me almost $20 with shipping, I just went ahead and got it. Now I can test my chlorine levels to my hearts content this season. Thanks for everyone's encouragement and help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.